Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:03 AM

Installed virtual PC 2007 and in settings, hardware assisted virtualization not available.

Intel VT is enabled in the bios.

Why then is it unavailable to VPC 2007? Is XP not able to exploit Hardware virtualization?

It works just fine on my laptop. I've also looked through the drivers, and they all seem to be installed without issue.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:30 AM

What operating system?

VPC 2007 won't work on XP Home, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Louis

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

I had same problem using Windows XP Professional SP3.

I found out that VPC2007 enables hardware virtualization only for a select CPU models. I had AMD Sempron ad it works only on AMD Athlon and AMD Duron.

#4 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:13 PM

Running XP pro service pack 3. with a 6750 core 2 duo. This cpu works with hardware virtualization on vista.

PS
Romeo39,

Hardware virtualization is available on higher end CPU's which support it. Ergo, Sempron is no good for this.

CPU lacking Hardware virtualization? YES?

Then you're actually running software virt which is slower and tends to be buggy. I believe that Software virt takes
advantage of the Mutimedia extentions, Hyper Transport (AMD), and Hyper Threading (intel), to accomplish some
level of performance increase.

Hamluis, can you confirm?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:48 AM

I'm afraid that I know little about virtualalization...I decided to try VPC a few months ago or I wouldn't even have known what it was :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:38 AM

Well I found out that Sempron doesnt support hardware assisted virtualization. Good that I have another PC with Intel 2 Core duo :thumbsup:

Here is the list of supprted processors:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HVM_Compatible_Processors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users