Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost my 'Search' & cannot download.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OneSillyBilly

OneSillyBilly

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:20 AM

My OS is XP Pro Pack 2 and I use Firefox to browse.

I seem to have lost my 'Search' facility. All I get is a blank page. I have also lost my Internet Explorer and I cannot download anything because I get 'Blocked by Security Zone Policy'.

I think this all came about while I was trying to load PC Tools Firewall. I have an icon for 'Threatfire' but none for the firewall.

I now find I have lost Device Manager, Snap in failed to initialise and gives a CLISD file number.

I've been trying to correct these problems myself searching on the net but to no avail. Should I format my drive and start all over?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:32 AM

I would do a repair installtion of XP...Detailed instructions for doing this can be found here (in the reply from dc3...Please don't download combofix) Just follow the instructions involving XP repair installation...BTW, by doing a "repair installation" you won't lose any data or programs...

If you aren't concearned about losing files or data then just do a fresh installation...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/210765/cant-get-past-login-please-help/
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:39 AM

Err, to format now seems a bit early, not all the problems you mention however can be caused by PC Tools firewall (dont know the product, maybe someone else has experience with it).

As for the download problem, the following link gives some good information about that http://www.webkeydesign.com/192/firefox-blocked-exes/

You can try to uninstall the firewall (using add/remove programs in the control panel) and see if this resolves something. I would suggest you to do also a malware scan using for exemple malwarebytes antimalware, as mentioned before a firewall cannot cause all this problems you have with search and device manager.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:47 AM

You are correct, Sir(Elise025)...removing the firewall and at the very least running MBAM are viable options and FWIW (higly recommended).....There are many options available to fix these kinds of issues....Thanks for your imput...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,820 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:51 AM

Sorry OldGrumpyBastard, I think we posted around the same time, I was not aware of your post when I wrote mine.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#6 OneSillyBilly

OneSillyBilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:21 AM

I would do a repair installtion of XP...Detailed instructions for doing this can be found here (in the reply from dc3...Please don't download combofix) Just follow the instructions involving XP repair installation...BTW, by doing a "repair installation" you won't lose any data or programs...

If you aren't concearned about losing files or data then just do a fresh installation...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/210765/cant-get-past-login-please-help/

Thanks 'Grumpy'.

I did as you said but I cannot do a repair or a fresh installation. I get a reply which says.....'version on your your system is newer than the version on the CD'.

#7 OneSillyBilly

OneSillyBilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:25 AM

Err, to format now seems a bit early, not all the problems you mention however can be caused by PC Tools firewall (dont know the product, maybe someone else has experience with it).

As for the download problem, the following link gives some good information about that http://www.webkeydesign.com/192/firefox-blocked-exes/

You can try to uninstall the firewall (using add/remove programs in the control panel) and see if this resolves something. I would suggest you to do also a malware scan using for exemple malwarebytes antimalware, as mentioned before a firewall cannot cause all this problems you have with search and device manager.

Thanks Elise but I cannot download anything so I can't get the programs you suggest.

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,820 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

Its not a program I am suggesting with that link, it merely explains how to change your internet options so that firefox will not give you the security zone policy message anymore. I see you have also IE problems, so if you cannot access internet options in IE, you can go to internet options in the control panel and make the suggested changes there.

Edited by elise025, 14 March 2009 - 11:39 AM.

regards, Elise

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,820 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:42 AM

O, I am sorry, didnt read very well, in addition to my previous post, if you cannot download even after changing the internet options, you can try to download MBAM on an USB device and install it from there.

regards, Elise

#10 OneSillyBilly

OneSillyBilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

Sorry.....MBAM...whats that...??

#11 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

MBAM is MalwareBytesAntiMalware

#12 OneSillyBilly

OneSillyBilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:22 PM

Many thanks Eastonch. As the name suggests I am 'OneSillyBilly'!!

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,820 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:24 PM

Once again very sorry, dont know whats wrong with me today LOL!
For the record, Malwarebytes Antimalware is a good free malware scanner.
The download location is
http://download.cnet.com/3001-8022_4-10804...art=dl-10804572

You can save the install file on a removable USB-device, plug it in your PC and install it from there. After you install it, update it and run a quick scan and see if it comes up with something.

Edited by elise025, 14 March 2009 - 01:24 PM.

regards, Elise

#14 OneSillyBilly

OneSillyBilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:26 PM

Well I tried to download MBAM but once again could not manage it./ When I come back from a short hol. I'll try again. In the meantime thanks to all for your trouble.......!

#15 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,820 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:36 PM

No problem at all. Did you try to adjust you internet options and did it resolve someting?

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users