Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the way to fight terrorism?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 raj29

raj29

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:21 AM

We all know that terrorism is one of the most widespread problem of this time. It spreads like a fire from place to place. In India( my motherland ), the recent violent attack on Taj hotel caught attention of the world community. I personally believe that there are only one or two nations which promotes terrorism and helped terrorists. So, these nations are the nursery of world terrorism. If we unite and create pressure on these country by any means then I think we will be able to demolish world terrorism. If anyone have any different opinion then please discuss. :thumbsup:

Edited by usasma, 28 March 2009 - 10:28 AM.
testing quotes

I am the Saint and the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But don't think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Sword were to speak...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

An interesting subject but almost impossible to discuss with out getting into the religious aspects of current terrorism. Fairly or unfairly this would quickly be seen by some as an attack on their faith. State sponsored terrorism is easier to denounce however all rouge states know enough now not to overtly endorse and support terrorists as this puts them in the bull’s-eye. Grinding poor countries do not have the resources or the political will to act on their own against small highly organized groups. Punishment directed to these courtiers would cause suffering for the innocent majority.
By contrast WWII was much clearer. Fascist and imperialistic governments bent on territorial expansion and domination of subjugated people. The western powers and Japanese people were extremely fortunate that the emperor of Japan surrendered as he did. If he had invoked his standing as a living “god” and called for resistance till the end millions more would have died on both sides.
Regards
Nawtheasta

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:43 AM

:trumpet:

It seems that what we are doing is definately not the right way?

The cost of fighting terrorism

By Dipak K. Gupta
July 26, 2006

Often there seems to be an utter disconnect between actual threats of terrorism and the state response. In terms of cold numbers, the comparison between the probabilities of death from international terrorism with other real dangers seems almost absurd.

In the past 38 years, the MIPT-RAND Corporation database records on the average 375 deaths per year worldwide. This compares with roughly the same number of people who drown in bathtubs in the United States alone (about 320). Even when we add the total fatalities during the same period resulting from both international and domestic terrorism, the number rises to nearly 38,500, which is less than the automobile-related deaths for a single year in the United States.

Much more here.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20...z1e26gupta.html

So far the Terrorists have done exactly what they set out to do and that is to create Terror throughout the World. Forget about the Religious side of it.

:thumbsup: :flowers:

#4 raj29

raj29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:46 AM

An interesting subject but almost impossible to discuss with out getting into the religious aspects of current terrorism. Fairly or unfairly this would quickly be seen by some as an attack on their faith. State sponsored terrorism is easier to denounce however all rouge states know enough now not to overtly endorse and support terrorists as this puts them in the bull's-eye. Grinding poor countries do not have the resources or the political will to act on their own against small highly organized groups. Punishment directed to these courtiers would cause suffering for the innocent majority.
By contrast WWII was much clearer. Fascist and imperialistic governments bent on territorial expansion and domination of subjugated people. The western powers and Japanese people were extremely fortunate that the emperor of Japan surrendered as he did. If he had invoked his standing as a living "god" and called for resistance till the end millions more would have died on both sides.
Regards
Nawtheasta

First of all I believe that terrorists are not belongs to any specific religion. They make their own religion and belief. Because, attack and killing of innocent, unarmed, common people- not supported by any existing religion of the world- at least I don't know. Therefore we consider terrorists (without considering their religion) as some ferocious animal. They self certify themselves as religious leader.
We can attack and destroy their bases without making much harm to common people. They obtain moral and financial support from Gulf countries(I don't want to specify any particular country)- so, if we monitor these transactions and control this, then I think we will be able to cut their supply lines. But unfortunately this is not possible for any particular country; we have to work together against terrorism and terrorists. :thumbsup:
I am the Saint and the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But don't think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Sword were to speak...

#5 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:22 AM

http://www.obsessionthemovie.com/

Watch the above movie and it will explain what the real threat is. I have seen the full lenght version and it is eye opening.

557851.png

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:58 AM

Terrorism can only exist if people are taught to ignore the living individual as a free human being and replace the person with a stereotype; it must see people as objects (for example, representatives of a class) rather than unique people like themselves. Once one is convinced that every person is an end, and not a means, commiting terrorist acts becomes impossible.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 raj29

raj29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:26 AM

@jgweed
You are right- I strongly agree with you.But it is too theoretical. You did not mention any immediate(practical) steps which we should take to prevent terrorists right now. I think it is better to work now and investigate the roots of terrorism later. :thumbsup:

Edited by raj29, 16 March 2009 - 04:29 AM.

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:42 AM

Terrorism comes in many forms?

Modern Pirates Terrorize Seas With Guns and Grenades Stefan Lovgren
for National Geographic News

July 6, 2006
Piracy may seem like a romanticized scourge of the past.

In reality, piracy is flourishing from Sumatra to Somalia, and today's pirates are far from the lovable rogues who populate swashbuckling movies like the new Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

"There's nothing romantic about piracy," said Capt. Pottengal Mukundan, the director of the International Maritime Bureau (IMB), based in London, England.

"These are ruthless people who are heavily armed and prey on people that are weaker than them."

IMB is a division of the Paris, France-based International Chamber of Commerce, which combats all types of business-related crime and malpractice.

According to IMB, pirate attacks around the world tripled in the decade between 1993 and 2003.

In 2003 alone there were 445 actual or attempted attacks in which 16 people were killed.

In the first three months of 2006, there were 61 successful or attempted attacks, compared to 56 incidents in the same period last year.

At least 63 people have been taken hostage this year—twice the number of hostages taken in the same period last year.

World's Most Dangerous Waters

Modern pirates prey mostly on cargo ships but also on fishing vessels, according to IMB.

Low-end pirates may not be interested in the cargo being transported. Instead they will board a ship and hold up the crew long enough to steal the large amounts of cash that many ships carry for payroll and port fees.

Much more here.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com.au/news...rn-pirates.html

:thumbsup:

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:19 AM

I am of the opinion,that these Terrorist training camps should be obliterated. There are 35 Training Camps for Jihad in the US alone. Why are they allowed to operate and train new Terrorists?
Terrorism has been around in many forms,forever. I don't believe Terrorism can ever be completely eradicated.
There are Camps all over the World,and puzzled why they are allowed to flourish.
At least by destroying the Camps,it would slow their progress down,to a degree. :thumbsup:

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:44 AM

:flowers:

That is really Scarey, Mate.

I found several Links to it, this seems to be the most modern one.

http://therealbarackobama.wordpress.com/20...mps-in-the-usa/

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:19 AM

This where they are located.This is only Jihad,what about all the other Terrorist Networks,in the US,and around the World.
I think, unless more is done by our Governments,this problem is only going to get much worse.
Destroy their Training Camps,for a start.They will get sick of rebuilding eventually.
Countries have allowed this to fester for too long,and sooner or later,we will pay a heavy price.

Posted Image

#12 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:01 AM

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Why would the US allow these camps to exist? If the US does not take them out some Militia ought to. WE have US soldiers dying to fight terrorism and we allow this to go on. :thumbsup:

557851.png

#13 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:45 AM

:flowers:

Thank God for the Net?

Now I am sure that people would want to Blame Obama for this too, or maybe Clinton?

My Link just above DSTM's Post has much, much more in it. Happy reading, Folks.

Edit, There are Camps all over the World and they know where they are, yet do nothing.

Edited by Abacus 7, 16 March 2009 - 10:51 AM.

#14 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:50 AM

I am from the U.K.We had acts of terrorism for a long time via the Northern Ireland conflict.And the one thing that brought a end to that conflict was dialouge.

#15 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

God that's surprising about the Jihad Camps in the US I thought they had a tough system, it's suspected by MI5 that one or two might be in the UK but most from here go abroad to Afghanistan and Pakistan as written in this story at the end of November last year where it is suspected and I quote;

More than 4,000 British Muslims have passed through terrorist training camps in Afghanistan and Pakistan, according to security agencies, providing a fertile recruitment pool for the Islamist international jihad.

But also even more worrying is it has been proven where RAF Intelligence-Gathering Aircraft tracking Taliban radio signals heard insurgents speaking in Midlands and Yorkshire (the county I live in) Accents.

Last year, RAF Nimrod intelligence-gathering aircraft tracking Taliban radio signals in Afghanistan heard insurgent fighters speaking with Yorkshire and Midlands accents.

Quoted Story - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/as...ad-1040232.html

Oh also here is a bit of a video about those US Jihad Camps I found while searching - http://vodpod.com/watch/1394816-home-grown...around-the-u-s-

As for raj29s' question on a way to fight it, that is really a hard question, There is a saying "Don't play with Fire or you might get burnt" now depending on what type of terrorism we talk about I think I will be right in saying that Terrorism in Afghanistan is certainly playing with Fire, but also as Cod head said the Northern Ireland conflicts went on for a long time and could probably seen as a different form of extremism (If people see it that way?) also I think he meant Dialogue? (Conversation or Meeting between 2 people or Parties) not "Dialouge" :thumbsup:.

Basically the IRA (Irish Republicans) believed and wanted a fully independent Republic of Ireland i.e. Northern Ireland to be rejoined with Republic Of Ireland, more reading here about the Trouble in Northern Ireland if you want to read it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles. It lasted about 30 years until an agreement was finally struck in 1998 with the Belfast Agreement although some violence still continued after with 2 British soldiers killed in Northern Ireland just last week with the IRA supposedly claiming responsibility even though in 2005 they said they were going to disarm.

But back to the question a start would obviously be to get rid of those Jihad Camps, simple logic tells you get rid of the source and you probably get rid of the trouble whether it works in this case is another matter, maybe the saying "There is no Smoke without Fire" also applies in the case of this the Jihad Camps could probably be compared to the Fire and the fighting in Afghanistan as Smoke you get rid of the Fire and the Smoke soon disappears i.e. they lose there form of recruitment, as soon as that is gone the conflicts start to get smaller and smaller and also more widespread (In terms of distance away from ISAF Army bases and into the Mountains where obviously it is a better defensive position) as more are attacked by the ISAF and US Troops.

As I say whether it would work this way or not we wouldn't know but at least it would be a start to trying to solve what can be called a major stumbling block to getting a stable peaceful environment on Earth, but then again I don't really ever expect an end to War it's always gone on throughout History so I suppose it will probably never change.

Edited by woodyblade, 16 March 2009 - 05:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users