Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 7 Vs Mozilla Firefox

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 raj29

raj29

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:55 AM

I have both firefox and IE7 installed on my system and personally I feel that firefox is better than IE7. So I wanted to know which one is most popular among user? :thumbsup:

Edited by raj29, 14 March 2009 - 02:20 AM.

I am the Saint and the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But don't think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Sword were to speak...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:26 AM

I prefer Firefox to IE, and especially over IE7. Firefox being a stand alone browser adds a modicum of protection as well.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 sparrow94

sparrow94

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:46 AM

i was an internet explorer user, then i went to firefox,,, and then i found this new program, its great...
AVANT BROWSER!
http://www.avantbrowser.com/
try it.
its free

#4 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

Here are stats on the popularity. As you can see Firefox is growing significantly and according to this data surpassed IE. I switched to Firefox months ago and really like the add ons that are available to customize it. I primarily use the ones associated with added security. The cool part is how easily you can install, disable or uninstall them.

Here are the stats
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

#5 raj29

raj29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:06 AM

I prefer Firefox to IE, and especially over IE7. Firefox being a stand alone browser adds a modicum of protection as well.

:thumbsup: Thank you dc3 for your valuable opinion. I have one more question- what type of protection you mean? please explain.
I am the Saint and the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But don't think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Sword were to speak...

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:26 AM

The following is an excerpt from this article.

"Firefox is less vulnerable to certain attacks than Internet Explorer is because it does not support ActiveX, Microsoft's technology for sharing information among applications. ActiveX allows programs to be downloaded to a computer without the user's knowledge, he says, providing opportunities to writers of viruses and spyware. "Firefox doesn't have any of that technology, and so we think that that provides users with an extra level of protection."

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 raj29

raj29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:27 AM

Ok, but some websites require Activex; like adobe flash player ActiveX plugin- then ??? :thumbsup:

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:43 AM

Firefox uses the Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI) system. NPAPI performs functions similar to those of ActiveX.

#9 raj29

raj29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:12 AM

Is it installed with firefox? If no, then where I will get it? And whats about the possibility of virus infections with activeX? Please mention. :thumbsup:

Edited by raj29, 15 March 2009 - 05:15 AM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:25 AM

It's part of Firefox's software.

#11 raj29

raj29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:32 AM

Why it is not harmful as other activeX object?

Edited by raj29, 15 March 2009 - 05:34 AM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:52 AM

In post #6 it is explained how activex allows programs to download to the computer without the user's knowledge, the NPAPI does not.

#13 raj29

raj29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:01 AM

Thank you dc3. Now it is clear to me. :thumbsup:

Edited by raj29, 15 March 2009 - 06:02 AM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:11 AM

Glad to have been able to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users