Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What IZZ that?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chanceman

Chanceman

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:15 PM

Ok, I finished my daily virus scan a minute ago. I use Avast. I didn't come up with any infections, but I did come up with 4 items that I have never heard of before that were "unable to scan." All 4 files have the same name, and when I go to the folders they're supposed to be in, they're not there. And I have my folder options set to show hiddens, so that's not right either. If anyone can tell me what this file is, and what I should do with it, if anything, I would be indebted to you. The file name is ANCIEN~2.MPG Thanks....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chanceman

Chanceman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

And by the way, I've used all the resources that you guys usually tell me to use when I think I might be infected, including Malewarebytes and Kaspersky online scan, and I can't find a solution...

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:33 PM

Download any codecs recently?
Try submitting the file for a Jotti scan
http://virusscan.jotti.org/

Edited by garmanma, 13 March 2009 - 07:35 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Chanceman

Chanceman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

Actually no, I haven't dl'd any codecs for quite some time. I've been really wary of doing that for some time now, and when I absolutely must, I will only use what sources I know to be trustworthy. Thanks for the advice though. I am trying out the resource you recommended as we speak. So all I have to do is type in the file name and click on submit, correct? I ask because as I said before, the file does not show up in the folders, so I can't browse and select that way.

Edited by Chanceman, 13 March 2009 - 07:50 PM.

#5 Chanceman

Chanceman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

Oh, and btw, what's up Cleveland?!? I sure do miss that place sometimes. I used to live on W49th. Absolutely loved living there, and I don't like city life! It just felt like a good place to me for some reason.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:27 PM

I thought since you knew the file name you knew it's location
Did you uncheck "show hidden files"?

what's up Cleveland

Same old place

Edited by garmanma, 14 March 2009 - 07:29 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 Chanceman

Chanceman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:22 PM

[quote name='garmanma' date='Mar 14 2009, 08:27 PM' post='1177966']
I thought since you knew the file name you knew it's location
Did you uncheck "show hidden files"?

I do know the location, but when I go there, it's not there. And I have folder options set to show hidden files, so yea. It's got me stumped.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

I've used all the resources that you guys usually tell me to use

What tools have you tried so far?
Post their logs
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users