Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed Windows XP Home Edition- unable to create new connection or network

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Doomsis

Doomsis

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

It won't allow us to create a network or conection. We have tried broadband but it keeps asking for a password and username which we never used. All we did was plugin and on the internet. We have a laptop working to the router connected to our cable modem. We thought it would be the wire so we switched plugs and the plug was working fine. Its a computer installed with Windows xp service pack2. When we plugin the the ethernet plug it doesnt recognize it at all. How do i create a network that it will work on my router. Everytime a person visits, their computer automatically connects.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:08 AM

Go to Device Manager (Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter).

Are there any yellow markings visible?

If so, then you need to install the system drivers from the CD which came with the system.

How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

Louis

#3 Doomsis

Doomsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

OK. I tried to use my emachin restore cds to update drivers but it cannot find drivers. So i look under hard disk drive and it says Hitachi. I look up website and I heard during the Service pack Windows XP home edition installation i heard you can install 3rd party drivers by pressing F6 while it identifies your computer hardware after you press enter to boot from PC at black screen. At the blue screen it scans your hardware, then it says press f6 to install third party drivers. On the Hitachi website, it says this is a way to install it. But wouldn't it be better to do the tutorial you ask me?

Tell me if I'm doing this right:

1)

I go to the hard drive website:
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Under 'Feature Too' I click on CD image because i do not have a floppy disk drive.

I download it on my working laptop thats conencted to my computer.

If i save it to a blank CD and pop it into my computer, will it work w/o internet. You said if i update my driver, it should help the yellow tagged items go away.

The item I just downloaded is an ISO file mediahub. Can I use this black CD during the time i press f6?

Don't have a blank CD atm but will this work the way I am doing it?

Once I update my driver will the yellow question marks : ethernet controller, multimedia audio controller, PCI Modem, Video Controller, " " " " (VGA Compatible)

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:16 PM

Hitachi website offers SATA drivers for Hard Disk only and that too during Windows installation. So it will (in my opinion) not help in networking problems.

If in the Device Manager (which you open by typing devmgmt.msc in StartMenu -> Run and pressing Enter), you see the networking device as shown in the attached image, your networking device is working fine. But if you see a 'yellow question mark', you need to install drivers.

Posted Image

Edited by Romeo29, 14 March 2009 - 08:20 PM.

#5 pikeman

pikeman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:26 AM

Maybe is problem within IP properties.
"obtain an IP address automatically" field
Is that machine worked earlier at this LAN.?
If not, maybe have IP address of another network, I just thought, maybe that.

#6 Doomsis

Doomsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:30 PM

my router is not wireless so we basically use a ethernet plug to connect to any computer. On the laptop that is working, i use connect to get "ips automatically" and then this laptop connects to internet when you connect using a ethernet plug. I don't it shows 'network adapters' on device manager because I probably not able to create a network or the computer recognizes the ethernet plus when i connect to non working laptop. WOuld it help if i choose to manually put IP address on nonworking laptop, putting same info from working laptop be good?

I was able to access my d-link and by copying all this info for manual putting ips address, dns, etc, will that conflict with this computer??

Everytime I try to create new network it keeps saying there is no network hardware found on system

Edited by Doomsis, 16 March 2009 - 07:07 PM.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:54 AM

If your Device Manager doesnt show Network Adaptors then possibly you need to install driver before you can connect using Ethernet plug(CAT5 cable).

#8 Doomsis

Doomsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

So which is the driver. is Hitachi my driver? We bought the same hardrive thinking the hardrive was broken. It did the same thing. So as i did in my previoud post about the Hitachi , is that correct? That is my hardrive. So going to the website. and whatever i put there- it will work?
>>>

Under 'Feature Too' I click on CD image because i do not have a floppy disk drive.

If i save it to a blank CD and pop it into my computer, will it work w/o internet. You said if i update my driver, it should help the yellow tagged items go away.

The item I just downloaded is an ISO file mediahub. Can I use this black CD during the time i press f6?

I'm following that guide to update hardrive.

When we bought the hardrive, it did not come w/ a hitachi CD so, just go to the website for updates?

Edited by Doomsis, 20 March 2009 - 05:26 PM.

#9 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:38 AM

OK. I tried to use my emachin restore cds to update drivers but it cannot find drivers. So i look under hard disk drive and it says Hitachi. I look up website and I heard during the Service pack Windows XP home edition installation i heard you can install 3rd party drivers by pressing F6 while it identifies your computer hardware after you press enter to boot from PC at black screen. At the blue screen it scans your hardware, then it says press f6 to install third party drivers. On the Hitachi website, it says this is a way to install it. But wouldn't it be better to do the tutorial you ask me?

Tell me if I'm doing this right:

1)

Don't have a blank CD atm but will this work the way I am doing it?

Once I update my driver will the yellow question marks : ethernet controller, multimedia audio controller, PCI Modem, Video Controller, " " " " (VGA Compatible)

The drivers that you are asking about are third party drivers for the HARD DRIVE ONLY!. Burning them to a CD will not do anything to solve your problem with your network issue.

Louis provided a link that will help you install or update the drivers for your network device:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

The drivers that you want to install will be under Network devices or Adaptors found in the device manager. Hard drive drivers are not your issue here as your hard drive is working...Your network device (router is not)...Other options would be to visit the website for the manufacturer of your router and download drivers for it there...

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 21 March 2009 - 08:39 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users