Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Post System Recovery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 angryman2009

angryman2009

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

I recently did a system recovery, and my HD is telling me that all my old files are still there, but i cant access any of them. I would like to delete the old files that i cant access and reinstall all programs that i lost as a result of the system recovery, but HD is full. i keep geting messages saying that programs ae not configured correctly so i cant use them. What do I do? Is there any way that i can recover any of the data that i lost? I really just want to get my documents back.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:57 AM

Depending on your situation, you might be able to use a live CD version of Puppy Linux to recover your documents. You will have to change your bios settings to allow you to boot from CD instead of floppy or HD (usually found by tapping F2 key while system is booting up...some systems the Esc key can be used and will get you there)....But before doing this there are a few other bits of work to do...

Download Puppy Linux:

http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads

Use an iso image burning software to burn an image of Puppy (I use this one....If you can click your mouse you can do this...LOL)

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Once you have burned the iso image to a CD...Load it in your tray and restart your computer...Puppy will load...Once it is finished loading you should be able to find your missing documents and rescue them...

Using this version of a live CD runs strictly off of RAM...Not off of your HD...It is extremely small but it is loaded up with a lot of the goodies the the full blown distros use...just scaled down, slicker versions....And the best part it is free and really handy to have around....
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:57 AM

You might be able to take ownership of the files. HERE is a link telling you how to do that. You may have to be in safe mode to do this. By taking ownership of the file it gives you access to them... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:27 AM

You can also use a tool to see what is taking up partition space. There are various, I like TreeSize Pro Trial - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users