Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Router Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BobbyCubby

BobbyCubby

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

I just recently got a wireless router, got it set up and it worked fine for a couple of hours, and will work correctly every now and then.

However, it drops the connection fairly often, and then internet connection is lost. The only pattern I see is that it will fail after a connection is made by a laptop, however, not always.

I'm using a cheap motorola dsl modem, and a linksys wireless router - the wrt110. The router has an ethernet cable running to my old desktop(running xp). I'm running two laptops on the network, both with vista. I've searched for answers, but haven't found anyone with the exact problem. Any help I could get would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Desion

Desion

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:15 AM

This could be your signal strength is weak. Moving closer to your wireless router would maybe prevent your connection from dropping. Also, check if there is any interference that may be dropping you, such as a microwave, cell phone, etc.
Interesting Links:
Softpedia - Online downloads encyclopedia
W3Schools - Website Programming Tutorials
PC World - Everything about technology
Wikipedia - Online Encyclopedia
Photobucket - Free Image Hosting

"I don't support network bridges, they support me."

#3 BobbyCubby

BobbyCubby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:15 PM

No, signal strength is high throughout the house; I've realized its only my laptop that does it, not my fiance's. It's no problem when I use a network cable to hook up. Odd.

#4 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:32 AM

The wireless NIC inside the laptop could be loose, or one of the antenna wires is loose... Could be integrity problems with your laptop, including but not limited to; virus's, spyware, firewall, ect.. Could also be the wireless NIC against the wireless router, say for instance, if the router uses 802.11N, and your NIC uses 802.11G, it could have issues, or visa verse... Though the difference in 802 isn't supposed to have an effect, but I have found that it can... Could also be the settings in your router, or settings in your laptop, or the dchp client (laptop), or server (router).

Edited by burn1337, 20 March 2009 - 09:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users