Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB and Media ports stopped working overnight

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LostinTime

LostinTime

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

First let me say since I'm new to this forum, sorry if I do something wrong. Anyway, my USB and media ports seemed to have stopped working overnight. None of my external devices work, it says device not recognized or has malfunctioned. All of the drive letters for the media ports are gone. The mouse, however still works in any USB port. It is an optical multi-button mouse (not your standard mouse). I have looked for the answer and it sounds like my motherboard but I don't want to go and buy a new one if there is some other things to try first. Any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

What is the make and model of your computer, or if it's a custom built, what is the model of the motherboard? Also, what operating system are you using?

How many, and what kind of external devices are you using? I have a usb powered game controller that uses so much power from one usb port, that it will affect the performance of my other usb devices.

Try this: Turn off your computer normally. Unplug all usb and external devices except mouse and keyboard. Turn your computer back on. I then want you to plug in one of those external devices, but try one that you think doesn't use a lot of power.

If you're still having problems: If you're running Vista, go to the start menu, and in the search box type "device manager".

Under XP, or older version of windows, go to start, control panel, system, hardware tab, click device manager

In device manager, do you see anything with a yellow question mark, covered with a yellow exclamation point?

After you get back to us with this info, we can help you more!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 LostinTime

LostinTime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:51 PM

I have a Gateway GT 5056 computer. Not sure which is the model of motherboard. running XP media center 5.1 SP3. I have 5-7 devices connected at any one time usually just 4-5. I always have an external HDD, generic speakers, printer, my mouse is a gaming mouse, with a few extra buttons. somtimes i add a game controller and Ipod shuffle or flash drive.

I have never had any problems with this setup. I had the printer, mouse, HDD, speakers, and I pod connected right before I noticed the problem. When I tried my flash drive it wouldn't recognize and said it had malfunction, tried it on another PC and worked fine. tried again and same result.

I have tried reinstalling drivers but there weren't any or didn't need them, said the computer. There are no yellow symbols in the device manager just unknown devices.

I have media slots on the front of my PC for photo memory cards and such they are usually greyed out in MY Computer and colored when somthing is plugged into them. Now they are gone from MY Computer.

The USB ports still have power because the speakers work. only the mouse and speakers are plugged into the USB ports, and as I mentioned the mouse will work in any USB slot with full functions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users