Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
(v1.34) and save it to your desktop.
Print out and follow these Instructions for scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
and perform a Quick Scan
in normal mode.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with disinfection. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes. Click this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled.
- Check all items found for removal.
- When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
- The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
- Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Since you cannot use the Internet or download any programs to the infected machine, you are going to need access to another computer (family member, friend, etc) with an Internet connection. Save mbam-setup.exe
to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD, transfer it to the infected machine, then install and run the program. If you cannot transfer to or install on the infected machine, try running the setup (installation) file directly from the flash drive or CD by double-clicking on mbam-setup.exe
so it will install on the hard drive.
You will also need to manually download the latest definition database
from another computer, save and transfer them to the infected machine. After installing MBAM, just double-click on mbam-rules.exe
to apply the update.Mbam-rules.exe is not updated daily. Another way to get the most current definitions is to update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming
- Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file, rename it to mysetup and change the .exe extension to .scr, .com, .pif, or .bat.
- Then double-click on mysetup.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to begin installation.
- If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files.
- Right-click on mbam.exe and rename it to myscan.
- Change the .exe extension in the same way as noted above.
- Double-click on myscan.scr to run.