Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something weird going on

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ldarling

ldarling

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

Ok this is probably going to be a little long winded since there is a lot of weird stuff going on. I downloaded sp3 on my Windows XP laptop a couple of months ago. I started getting the pop up message that AntiVirus2009 was not activated and that I needed to activate it. So, this was driving me crazy. I removed it through add remove programs and then deleted the folder from my program files. That's when it really started to get weird. I kept getting that the auto-update was not turned on. I kept trying to get it to turn on, but it wouldn't. Then I tried to download an anti-virus (there's a long story about why thre isn't one on there yet, but let's not get into that!) and I can't download the one that comes free with my ISP. So I try AVG..I can get it to download, but I can't get it to work. It won't update, it won't scan. Nothing...weird right, well it get's weirder

So then I try to see if I can do microsoft updates. I click on the window's update thingy, and it says that this site is currently unavailable. You know, like you get when your internet isn't working. So I make sure that my internet is working. I can get online with Yahoo browser, but IE doesn't work at all. I can't access anything with IE. Not yahoo, not my space, not my personal website, nothing. On Yahoo browser, I can access only certain sites. I can't access microsoft, I can't access any pop ups, and I can't even access this site. And yahoo browser constantly shuts itself down.

So, then I think I will system restore it. The earliest date I can pick is December 2008, and I have had my laptop longer than that. But when I run it...nothing. It says that it is not able to restore. Hmmmm....

So I read through all the stuff here, ok..not all of the stuff you have on here but a lot of it, and I think, I will download the malware thing to my flash drive and load it onto the laptop, since I can't access this site on my laptop. It won't run on the laptop. It won't open the program at all. How weird is that? Oh yeah and last night I also removed SP3 to see if that was the issue. It didn't help at all....

I really would rather not crash and reboot the computer, so please HELP!!!

L Darling

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:52 PM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.34) and save it to your desktop.
Print out and follow these Instructions for scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and perform a Quick Scan in normal mode.
  • Check all items found for removal.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with disinfection. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes. Click this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled.

Since you cannot use the Internet or download any programs to the infected machine, you are going to need access to another computer (family member, friend, etc) with an Internet connection. Save mbam-setup.exe to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD, transfer it to the infected machine, then install and run the program. If you cannot transfer to or install on the infected machine, try running the setup (installation) file directly from the flash drive or CD by double-clicking on mbam-setup.exe so it will install on the hard drive.

You will also need to manually download the latest definition database from another computer, save and transfer them to the infected machine. After installing MBAM, just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to apply the update.Mbam-rules.exe is not updated daily. Another way to get the most current definitions is to update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it.
  • Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file, rename it to mysetup and change the .exe extension to .scr, .com, .pif, or .bat.
  • Then double-click on mysetup.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to begin installation.
  • If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files.
  • Right-click on mbam.exe and rename it to myscan.
  • Change the .exe extension in the same way as noted above.
  • Double-click on myscan.scr to run.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users