Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

changed out Motherboard in an HP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 papa124

papa124

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:23 PM

My daughter in law bought an HP compter at a garage sale and it was working for a long time. Video mother board connector broke off. I had to change out the motherboard. This computer says it was made especially by HP for Wal-Mart in 2003. I changed the motherboard out to one just like it. The connector of the new motherboard will not connect to the ribbon going to the floppy drive. When I try to boot up I get the "Floppy Drive failure" My questions are this: Do I need to replace the floppy drive and also How can I get another disk to go with the activation number. The activation code is taped to the back of the computer but we do not have the disk, how do you get another disk to match. Will I have to replace everything. I know that when a computer is made by HP that all the parts are branded and have to be compatible not generic. Thanks in advance for any and all help. I contacted HP and they were rude and said take it to a computer shop with no alternative offered. I build my own computers everyday why do I have to take this computer to a shop because HP refuses to help? Thanks again.
This is my first post, I am a 54 year old grand father trying to work on computers for a hobby and to help friends and family but, I do hit a snag from time to time. I do live in the sunny hot South of Mississippi.
papa124 : :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:50 PM

Hi Papa124,
You raise a number of questions and I'll try to help with what I can:

The connector of the new motherboard will not connect to the ribbon going to the floppy drive.

That's very odd, floppy cables have been standard for decades - unless HP tried to make things awkward by putting blanking plugs in some of the connector holes to key them. Have a look in the end of the cable that should plug into the motherboard. Do you have 34 holes? If not you can buy a 'generic' floppy cable which will not be keyed.

Do I need to replace the floppy drive

I don't see how that would help if you can't connect it to the motherboard. In the meantime you can go into the BIOS and tell the system it has no Floppy drive so you don't get the error message at boot-up.

Floppy drives are becoming redundant, many systems now ship without them. If your system has USB ports consider buying a USB pen drive for backups and casual data transfer and abandon the floppy drive.

How can I get another disk to go with the activation number.

I'm not sure about this. HP's usually have their own system CDs which include the Operating system and applications combined. The activation code is most likely for that and would not work with a straight Windows CD. You should be able to get replacement CDs from HP by quoting a model number at them.

If the hard drive is undamaged and still has the operating system on it, why do you need to use the code?

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users