Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big time crash here! Please help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ccox0915

ccox0915

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:45 AM

My computer froze up on my the other day. I attempted a reboot, the power remained on but I had no lights on either my mouse or keyboard and the screen was black. I tried to install the windows boot disk and it did nothing. I can hear the fans and hard drives working but I can't get anything on the display. I know the screen works because I am using it now with my laptop. I am wondering if it could be the motherboard and if so how can I tell which "type" I have so I know what to replace it with. Please Help! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

What make and model is this? If it isn't a pre-built, you will have to open the case and look on the motherboard for some identification marks. They are usually in White Lettering, sometimes near the CPU and sometimes near a PCI slot. :thumbsup:

Get any info off of the board you can and let us know. We can go from there. :trumpet:

But it does sound like either your motherboard or power supply (but you said you hear fans). :inlove:

DR :flowers:

#3 ccox0915

ccox0915
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:17 PM

it's a emachines c2684. store bought with new hard drive and extra RAM. Looking at motherboard I see D33007...

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:57 PM

Here is a MB on ebay. It is an FIC AU31 motherboard. Check around and you might be able to find one cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GATEWAY-EMACHINES-C268...p3286.m20.l1116

The problem is that it is an eMachine. If it was anything else, I might say it would be worthwhile but an eMachine is at the bottom. :flowers:

But still, if that is all it needs maybe it will be fine. :thumbsup:

Good luck.

DR

PS: I would get a new power supply as well. Don't skimp on it either.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

Your computer is a victim of the infamous emachine "Bestec" power supply.

If you buy a replacement motherboard DON'T hook the same power supply to it !

Even if the power supply appears to be working take it out & put it in the trash where it belongs.
Buy a decent power supply.

Emachines are actually pretty good computers with the exception of the cheap power supply .
Bestec power supplies is what has given emachine a bad rep.

I bought a emachine a few years ago.
Knowning about the power supply issue the first thing I( did was remove the "Bestec" PSU & put it in the trash
I put a decent PSU in it & it's still going great with no issues.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 Bodhi339

Bodhi339

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

Your computer is a victim of the infamous emachine "Bestec" power supply.

If you buy a replacement motherboard DON'T hook the same power supply to it !

Even if the power supply appears to be working take it out & put it in the trash where it belongs.
Buy a decent power supply.

Emachines are actually pretty good computers with the exception of the cheap power supply .
Bestec power supplies is what has given emachine a bad rep.

I bought a emachine a few years ago.
Knowning about the power supply issue the first thing I( did was remove the "Bestec" PSU & put it in the trash
I put a decent PSU in it & it's still going great with no issues.

Hi,
I have a Gateway GT5228 that is having the exact same problem as listed at the beginning of this thread. I did a search and found this post. I was wandering what PSU you would recommend for this PC? I'll be ordering a replacement motherboard tomorrow and I want to get a good PSU before I install the new motherboard.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users