Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing File

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Snakeman01

Snakeman01

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:41 AM

This is a 2 part question.
1.) When I log on to my computer a pop up window comes up saying that a Dll file is missing it makes the computer run slow on the net and all the games I have installed barly work. I have no windows 98 install disk so haow would I fix that?

2. the Colors are messed upI go to display and reset them to 256 colors and as soon as I press the appyy button it goes right back to 16 colors.
Any Ideas to fix that would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

does it tell you which dll

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

If you only have the choice of 256 or 16 colors, then the video driver is not installed or faulty. Re-installing the correct video drivers might resolve both issues.

As well as starcraftmaster's request as to what .DLL is shown as missing, what brand and model is the computer, if it's a brandname, or what video does it use if it's a generic system?

If the system/video card is unknown, you can use a system analysis utility such as Everest Home to identify the video and let us know so we can source a suitable video driver.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 elomont

elomont

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:08 PM

Snake,

You need to narrow down which program is requesting the missing dll upon startup. You could do this through Start, Run, msconfig, then the startup tab. Then when you figure which one it is, download the dll file from dlldump.com and copy it into that folder (the folder for the program that is requesting it) within your Program Files.

In regards to the video problem, I have corrected the same problem a 2 different ways. 1. Downloading all the Windows Updates has corrected it. 2. Downloading a new updated driver for your current video card (driverguide.com, though there are plenty of sites to do this). You can find the name of your video card by right clicking My Computer, Device Manager, then the + next to Display.

Hope this helps,

Elomont

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users