Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC not responding

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cyberbabe27

cyberbabe27

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:22 AM

For the past few weeks my Pc has been seizing up and it can take up to an hour to get online, quite often it wont even shut down from the start menu, when I do get connected I keep getting 'Not Responding' this is in firefox and I.E it also happens with most applications that I am trying to use like my documents ect.

I have run chkdsk and tried safe mode to restore it to a previous date but neither of these have helped. I have the windows XP disk if that would help at all. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:52 AM

Have you checked in the Taskmanager which application/process uses much CPU? For taskmanager alt-ctrl-del, look on the processes-tab to see the CPU usage for each process.
How much RAM do you have installed?
Do you have your XP Services packs and updates installed?
Did you do any malware scans?

Edited by elise025, 13 March 2009 - 08:53 AM.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 cyberbabe27

cyberbabe27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:22 AM

Hi
I have checked task manger and all the cpu's are showing 00 apart from system idle process which is showing 94. I get all the XP updates automatically (had 4 in the past 2 days) I have spybot, Adaware which I ran the other day. I also have Norton anti virus 2009. I'm not sure about the RAM but I looked at local disk C and it says 38.2 GB free space 11.6 GB :thumbsup:

Edited by cyberbabe27, 13 March 2009 - 09:24 AM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:14 PM

my Pc has been seizing up and it can take up to an hour to get online, quite often it wont even shut down from the start menu

Are you getting any BSOD's or error messages?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,318 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:52 AM

Well, first of all, do you have realtime protection of Norton/Spybot/Adaware enabled? If so, this could explain some slow behaviour. Spybot (teatimer), adaware and norton all active at the same time can reduce your PC-speed considerably and it does no good. For optimal real-time protection you should enable only one product and disable the others (you can schedule a scan once a week).

You can check you RAM by right clicking on my computer, choose properties and look at the general-tab. Under Computer it gives the amount of RAM (..... MB of RAM). You can copy also everything listed under computer and paste it in a post.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:00 AM

The amount of RAM shown in the Properties of My Computer reflects the amount not in use at that time. To see the total physical memory look in System Information.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tool> System Information

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,318 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:38 AM

Dc3, doesnt the general tab from my computer properties show the total amount of RAM installed - the amount of RAM assigned as video-mem (in other words the total amount of RAM that remains available at any time, whether it is used or free)?? On the PC's I have seen it does. I would appreciate if you could tell me in what situations this is not true, thanx!

Edited by elise025, 14 March 2009 - 05:40 AM.

regards, Elise

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:22 AM

It's as dc3 stated...you can follow his suggestion and take a look.

Louis

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:48 AM

Sorry I couldn't get back to you last night, I had to wait to substantiate the reason for the discrepancy in the two figures. I have two 512MB RAM modules installed, the System Information recognizes the whole 1024MB, the General tab only show 960MB, this leaves 64MB which is the amount of my video memory.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 cyberbabe27

cyberbabe27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:09 PM

had a look under my computer and it says 512mb ram pentium( c) 4 cpu 2 66GHz Also when I switch on a box comes up saying Windows installer preparing to install but then it disappears I don't know what it is installing but sometimes after about 10 minutes I get the error message saying Error loading C:\program files \common files it says more than that but it went off before I could write anymore down and it hasn't come up since. I have deleted spybot and run a full scan with Norton but it didn't find any problems :thumbsup:

#11 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:17 PM

I would try reading the following link for some great information about things that may or may not be causing your problem...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44690-75.html
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#12 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:03 PM

Hi
I have checked task manger and all the cpu's are showing 00 apart from system idle process which is showing 94. I get all the XP updates automatically (had 4 in the past 2 days) I have spybot, Adaware which I ran the other day. I also have Norton anti virus 2009. I'm not sure about the RAM but I looked at local disk C and it says 38.2 GB free space 11.6 GB :thumbsup:

Hi cyberbabe27,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding.

Norton AntiVirus 2009 is very lean on it's usage of system resources and should not cause your computer to freeze. However, you mention that you are also using SpyBot, and although Norton AntiVirus 2009 will run fine with SpyBot installed, you need to make sure that both the "SDHelper" and "Tea Timer" functions of SPyBot are disabled, or they will cause conflicts with Norton AntiVirus and can leave your system vulnerable to infection. I would strongly advise you to make sure that both of these settings in SpyBot are disabled.

After you disable these features, launch Norton AntiVirus, manually run LiveUpdate, and then complete a "Full System Scan" with Norton to make sure you do not have any infections present.

Thank you,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#13 cyberbabe27

cyberbabe27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:03 PM

Thank you very much for your reply, I have removed spybot and Ad Aware and am just using Norton, I don't know if they were the problem but it is working much better now. :thumbsup:

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:16 PM

I suggest...reinstalling Spybot, while leaving Ad-Aware in your past.

An AV program is not sufficient to deal with all the spyware/adware which caily attacks a system.

Spyware And Malware Removal Guides Index - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/171335/spyware-and-malware-removal-guides-index/

Malware Prevention - Preventing Re-infection - The Elder Geek on Windows XP - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15267

Louis

#15 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:40 PM

An AV program is not sufficient to deal with all the spyware/adware which caily attacks a system.

How about those security suites which come with antispyware built-in like Norton, Avast, Avira, AVG etc. ?

I have been using Avast! for some time, and so far my pc is spyware free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users