Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why would imaging my machine created ".WINDOWS" profiles

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:05 AM

I RIS'ed a machine for work use, Windows XP Pro, and noticed that it has duplicate profiles in Docs & Settings for Default User and All Users, but the second profiles contain a .WINDOWS extension. My personal profile and the administrator profile do not. I don't have dual boot nor did I install Windows on a second partition. As far as I know the image from our RIS server is not corrupted, I have used it many times before with no issues.

My service director recalls something about this, thinking that when this happens there somehow was a second version of Windows created somewhere, or something like that. What may wind up happening, he says, is that at some point the PC could arbitrarily decide to boot to the alternate Windows and screw me up completely. I'm not sure if he's right, but I worry that he may actually be! I wouldn't be so devastated since I haven't wiped out my old machine yet, but I have client's machines that I know this is occurring on, and that would be really bad if something catastrophic happened!!! (One of the clients is the County Finance Director and Assistant Administrator!!!)

Does anyone know what this is really all about? Is it potentially a risk for future booting up? Can I just delete the two ".WINDOWS" profiles and be done with it, or is there a way to resolve this issue?

Thanks!!

EBH
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:18 AM

How many Windows folders...do you see on the C: partition?

How many users are reflected in User Accounts via Control Panel?

Louis

#3 Eric RBA

Eric RBA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:59 AM

There is just the one C:/Windows folder.

The only non-default user is only myself. The other user folders are: one "administrator" folder, then there are "All Users", "All Users.WINDOWS" and "Default User" as well as "Default User.WINDOWS".

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

Sorry...but I didn't ask about folders (other than Windows folder).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2009 - 09:22 AM.

#5 Eric RBA

Eric RBA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:27 AM

Oh, sorry Louis. My brain is stuck on the user profile folders.

There are three user accounts. "Administrator" "reboot" and "vendinstall". These are our GP default users for machines serviced by our company.

EDIT:

I find it odd that I'm not listed as a local user there. I'm a local admin though.

Edited by Eric RBA, 13 March 2009 - 09:40 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:00 AM

I really have no clue and I don't even see anything online that might provide any hope.

I've not come across Windows even being capable of creating anything other than the standard default Doc & Settings folders and this certainly doesn't fit that category.

You may want to take a look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/s2esdf4x.aspx

I don't think you have to worry about 2 Windows on the same partition...that's why I asked about the number of Windows folders.

Have you taken a look in the registry to see if there are keys relating to these .Windows folders?

If it were me, I would try to delete them...but I don't always do the smart thing :flowers:.

Maybe one of residents/visitors with a lot more experience can enlighten us...I suggest waiting a bit :trumpet:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users