Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rebooting, strange graphical errors and more

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Uzag

Uzag

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:36 AM

Hi!
Iíve gotten some sort of virus in my computer. This Ďvirusí have been acting very weird and random, but Iíll try to describe it as well as I can. Iím using a PC with Windows XP (+ service pack 2).

Short description
This virus makes it impossible to start Windows normally, and in safe-mode it causes reboots and graphical errors. It also causes insertion of strange symbols in DOS. The virus could not be removed by formatting.

Development
At first my computer started to reboot at random, just flashing a blue screen with text on before resetting. It was impossible to read any of it. I didnít think much about it as it could just been some program error, but then the rebooting became much more frequent and the computer felt slower then usual. I scanned the computer with AVG and Add-Aware antivirus programs, but nothing was found.

Later the real weirdness started to occur; small, animated text symbols started to appear in Windows. They reminded a lot of miniatures of the blue bats from the first Zelda game... These symbols appeared in rows and switched between two Ďframesí, making them look as if they where flapping. They appeared randomly at various places such as in text fields, on the desktop background and around the mouse pointer.

I decided to format the harddrive to get rid of it as my antivirus couldnít do anything about it. Afterwards, the computer seemed fine for an hour or soÖ But then those bats started to appear again. After this, the infection became very rapid; the computer started to reboot and now graphical errors as well odd symbols appeared at the DOS loading screens.

Current state
If I start the computer now, the following happens... (the links lead to photos Iíve taken of the screen as I canít get screenshots).
1) The start-up computer loading screens has small graphical errors on them, 01, 02.
2) A mess of symbols appear, they seem to form some sort of picture or logotype 01.
3) The screen where ones choose if to log in normally or in safe-mode is filled with odd symbols. Many of them for crosses... which canít be a good sign... 01, 02.
4) When Windows are being loaded, another symbol mess appears. It seems to show the same logotype as earlier but inverted, 01.

5a) If starting Windows normally, the screen will just go black and seem to either reboot or freeze up.

5b) If starting in safe-mode, Iíll be taken to the screen where I choose which account to log into. I never got this option before the infection. There are graphical errors all over here, 01.
6) Windows will start, but it shows a black screen with blue stripes. These stripes looks like the Ďsymbol batsí but cut off and they do not move, 01, 02.
7) After a lot of loading, Windows start after all. The Ďstripesí are still all-over the place, Windows seem to run slowly, 01, 02.

///
I have no idea whatís going on or what to do. Or where I got this virus-thing from. Or if it can infect files too. As I formatted my hard drive I at least gotten to save my files before the computer totally wrecked, but Iím afraid they may carry the virus.
Iíve heard there are viruses that can go into the computers hardware and avoid removal by formatting. When looking for resolutions, all I found was something about Ďrootkitsí and... Iím afraid this is beyond my computer knowledge. But I still know fairly much of computers for being a Ďregular userí and Iím good at following instructions.
Because this virus is soÖ graphically oriented, Iím hoping someone may recognize it.

Iíd be utterly grateful if someone can help me solve this or point me in the right direction!

Edited by Uzag, 14 March 2009 - 02:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:50 AM

Please explain the format process you used as it is not normal that the ma;ware survived the format.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users