Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turn Windows Server 2008 into a Workstation OS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:01 AM

Just in case any of you might want to do this, for example us lucky students who can get Windows Server 2008 for FREE, here is a useful tool on turning your Server OS into a nifty workstation.

http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/

I have found a few things though with this and my experiences might help you guys out too.
  • Server 2008 might not find all your drivers. This is because companies don't add Server to their supported OS list, however, if they have a Vista driver then it'll probably work on Server. So download those (or dual boot when you install Server and get Server to search in your old OS for drivers).

• The tool sometimes doesn't work on things like the Wireless and Games section.

To enable wireless networking in server 2008:
    • Start > Server Manager > Features > Add Features > Wireless LAN service
  • I'd change the setting which means that you have to continually change your password.

To disable this:
    • Start > Server Manager > Configuartion > Local Users and Groups > Double click Users folder > Right Click Administrator > Properties > tick Password Never Expires
I hope this hasn't been posted here, I couldn't find it if it had. Any questions post here and I can share my experiences with you.

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hsh

hsh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:47 PM

This is really a handy esp. with MS given away free WS08 licenses via Dreamspark.
Yes it is more stable n' faster than Vista, but at the cost of some games n' application issues like an antivirus.

#3 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:48 PM

True, but I have found plenty that are running ok.

I'm currently running Emisoft a-squared and Lavasoft Ad-Aware. The best thing was when Microsoft released the Live Suite for Server. :thumbsup:

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users