Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

zlob trojan

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bobb24

Bobb24

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:34 AM

Hey guys, its been a while. So my computer started shutting down by itself yesterday and doing weird things, like muting my volume control and the hourglass wouldn't go away by the curser. then popups and ads were on google chrome. So i used Mbam to scan and it found a load of things, however when deleting it stopped and said it was unable to delete some files and gave me a list of a few of them. So I tried looking info up online and finally found some things on your site and another forum to help. I used smitfraud fix and it seemed like it took care of most of the problem, however when I scanned again it still shows up. so I d/l Superantispyware and it scanned, deeply and found these trojans and deleted and quarentined them. so I scan again to check with spyhunter, and it still shows up!! My computer seems fine for now but why is it still showing up?? any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:08 AM

A malware scan may detect malware items which have been quarantined by a given program.

Even though the item is quarantined (I really don't understand why users quarantine, rather than just deleting), since it's still on the system...it is detected.

That's my best guess :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:38 AM

I guess most users forget about the quarantine file. What SAS does when it finds malware is quarantine it and ask you to reboot to get rid of it. After reboot, I normally go into quarantine to see what it is and then delete it. Of course quarantine can be useful in case of a false positive.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

Yep, I use SAS also...I delete any quarantined items immediately after they have been removed/quarantined :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 Bobb24

Bobb24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

So what if I deleted all the items in quarentine and scan again and a bunch of trojans still show up? Any hope? lol

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:26 PM

The scan tool puts items in quarantine that it thinks cannot/should not be deleted, or is attached to important files. They are supposedly inoculated, so as not to be contagious. Then you can run your computer to make sure there is no damage and those files are not needed. If they are not, you can go ahead and delete them.
There are many strains out there that are well hidden and self replicate. Most viruses today will take more than one scan tool

Edited by garmanma, 13 March 2009 - 02:27 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Bobb24

Bobb24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:38 PM

k thanks Ill keep it in check..hope all works out! seems to be fine now!

#8 Bobb24

Bobb24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:40 PM

sorry again...my volume control still mutes by itself though. Any thoughts on how to correct it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users