Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Three questions!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dooobie

Dooobie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:24 AM

Questions:

1. My (C:\) drive tells me that I only have 75.7 Gb of free space (out of 222 Gb), but when I added up the folders inside, it takes about 1858.398 Mb of space. What happened to my seemingly unused 220.141602 Gb? I don't have too many applications installed on my computer to take up that much space.

2. Is it completely safe to delete absolutely everything inside <C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp>? Will deleting its contents affect my computer in any way?

3. I know that deleting and emptying the trashcan doesn't "permanently erase" the files, as the trashcan says it does, but instead places the deleted files somewhere hidden(?). How can I make sure the files that I delete are permanently deleted without leaving a trace (without taking extreme measures, of course)? I would want to avoid formatting the computer in any way, since there still are files that I need on the computer.

Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to view these questions!
Any kind of help regarding these questions will be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

1. Most likely it's in "hidden" folders like System Volume Information, and with the pagefile and hibernation file.
To find out for sure, use this free tool: http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoe...n/sequoiaview//

2. It should be safe to delete it, but I'd suggest using a Temporary file cleaner (such as the Disk Cleanup Tools in the Accessories...System Tools startup menu).

3. It depends on how secure you want to be. Deleted files are fairly easy to find, but you can use different freeware applications to ensure that they're completely deleted. Here's a link to our Freeware page(s): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users