Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE7 and outlook not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mark-br

Mark-br

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:13 AM

Hi,
I am running Windows XP SP3.
IE7 stopped connecting around Sep 2008. Firefox 2.0.0.16 worked fine, but IE7 would not connect "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error message. If I update Firefox to a new version that won't work either. I have removed IE7 tried IE6, but still no luck. I have tried the "Diagnose Connection Problem", and have also reset the default settings on IE7, but doesn't fix the problem.
Then in Jan 2009 Outlook would not connect to my POP3 server. I checked the mail account settings, and they were all correct.
I then downloaded Thunderbird, but this won't connect either.
I did change my antivirus software from Norton to PC tools, but I did go onto the Norton symantec website and remove it using their instructions, so I am not sure if this has anything to do with it?
I have installed on my computer PC Tools Firewall Plus, and PC Tools Spyware Doctor, but I have removed them from my computer to see if this would fix the problem, but doesn't.
I have deleted and recreated my connection.
I have since changed my internet connection from dial-up to wireless broadband, but this hasn't made any difference, and still Outlook won't connect with my new mail settings.

Has anybody got any ideas about what could have gone wrong to cause this? I have been looking for a solution for months.

thanks
Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

Try running the system file checker
How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
What is the System File Checker and How Do I Run It

#3 Mark-br

Mark-br
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:25 AM

Hi,
thanks for your suggestion.
I ran SFC.EXE/SCANNOW, and it came up with the error "you have provided the wrong CD", so I went through the process of creating a new install CD with SP2 and another one with SP3, but the same error message still came up.
I then used the CD (with SP3) to "install windows XP". That didn't fix the problem, and when I ran SFC.EXE/SCANNOW again, it still said that the CD is incorrect.
So I am still at a loss to correct this problem.

thanks
Mark

Edited by Mark-br, 27 March 2009 - 12:26 AM.

#4 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:27 AM

Hi Mark,

I found this http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

tork

#5 Mark-br

Mark-br
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:11 PM

FIX - it was Norton which was the problem.
Even though I had used their tool to remove the program, plus I also used CC Cleaner or PC Decrapifier, but could only get rid of it once I followed these instructions: http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_fully_...on_from_pc.html
It was once I deleted the folder in common files then my computer started to work properly again.

Edited by Mark-br, 29 March 2009 - 09:11 PM.

#6 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

Good you figured it out after all these months and got it fixed :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users