Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SDbot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:37 AM

Hi,

A friend of mine has something showing up in her startup list in Spybot that seems to be a sdbot worm. From what I have found doing a google search it seems to be a backdoor trojan worm but I am unsure as to what that is exactly and more importantly, if it is a rootkit infection. Even looking through the info on this site about this did not clear that up for me. Other than her computer running rather slowly, she does not have any real symptoms of infection. Even though I know she needs to, she has yet to uncheck the file in Spybot from loading on startup and she has not rebooted since running SuperAnitSpyware which found many things. I am hoping that SuperAntiSpyware fixed all her infections and that on reboot that file and entry will be gone but I do not know. I also do not know what all SuperAntiSpyware found, most could have been tracking cookies for all I know at this point and she is clueless on all matters regarding infections. I am hoping she has done what I told her to do tonight which is rebooting and rerunning SuperAntiSpyware overnight.

For now, I am just wondering if anyone could please tell me about this Sdbot infection and if SuperAntiSpyware can get rid of it?

I also need to know if, regardless of what infections she has on her computer, she were to copy and paste her SuperAntiSpyware log into an email and send it to me, would just reading that email (not downloading anything from it, just opening the email and reading it using AOL) infect my computer?

Sorry to ask questions when I do not have all the info available but I do want to know about the things I do have info on.

Thank you all for any and all help you can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iearldtg

iearldtg

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:54 AM

A lot of startup items are listed as trojans under SBot and really arent. However since she had so many trojans i'd download and install malwarebytes,update,and quick scan

Edited by iearldtg, 13 March 2009 - 12:55 AM.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:13 AM

Thank you for your reply and that info.

I hope what Spybot is reporting as a trojan really isn't one. As to the things that SAS found I do not know if they were listed as trojans or not, which is why I want to see her log. I do not have a way to see that unless she can copy and paste it into an email and send it to me, but I am a little afraid of telling her to email it to me in case an email from her infected computer will infect my computer. I do not think it will, as it has always been my understanding that as long as I do not dl anything from from the email, I cannot get infected by just reading it using AOL, but would like some confirmation of that. I have been told for years that if one is using AOL to read an email, it is suppose to be safe as AOL scans all emails and will not let one in if it is infected, but I cannot be sure of that.

I have told her to dl Malwarebytes and update it and run it, I am hoping she will and that between that program and SAS, her system will become clean.

Thank you again for your help

Edited by Stang777, 13 March 2009 - 01:15 AM.

#4 iearldtg

iearldtg

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:19 AM

If her computer starts acting up again try a sys restore from before she got the virus and have her backup personal files from then and if that doesnt work copy her os license code and reinstall os.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:33 AM

Thank you. I appreciate the suggestion but the problem is, we have no idea when the viruses got on her system, lol. She has been without an antivirus\firewall program for a very long time. I found about that a few months ago and urged her to get one, she said she would. I asked her shortly after if she did and she said she had just bought one. This was a couple of months ago and I thought all was well. Then I asked her a few days ago how that av\fw was working out for her and found she had not installed it as she bought the wrong thing and had not done anything about it. I got on her and sent her to ZA's site tonight and hopefully by this time tomorrow she will be running both. Since I had her run SAS and it found so many things, I am thinking she will be running protection soon, as she has now seen the results of not having it, but that doesn't change her current situation.

If things do not get cleared up I will have her try system restore to earlier dates and see if we can find one that was before she got infected but I highly doubt there is one. That is another reason I want to see her log, I want to see if all her system restore points are infected. I am hoping it will not come to her having to reformat and start over.

I would have her come here and post her logs, however, I think she is already too overwhelmed at just the things I am already having her do to throw more at her at this point.

In any case, I thank you for your help and am sorry I rambled a bit here.

Edited by Stang777, 13 March 2009 - 01:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users