Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to import ".mdb" files into SQL Server 2008?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BobLewiston

BobLewiston

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:34 PM

Assuming it can be done (as I've been told):

How do I import ".mdb" (MS Access / OleDb) files (specifically, Northwind sample database files) into SQL Server 2008 (Express with Advanced Features)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:23 AM

Assuming it can be done (as I've been told):

How do I import ".mdb" (MS Access / OleDb) files (specifically, Northwind sample database files) into SQL Server 2008 (Express with Advanced Features)?

Have a read here Bob. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 BobLewiston

BobLewiston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:58 AM

Keithuk:

You have referred me to "The connection string reference" @ "http://www.connectionstrings.com". I'm a newbie, so please bear with me: I don't see the relevance of the webpage you have referred me to.

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:27 PM

Well if you've never used databases then it starts you off with the connection strings. :thumbsup:

Keith

#5 BobLewiston

BobLewiston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

Of course you use connection strings to access databases. But what is on the webpage that tells you how to construct connection strings that you referred me to ("http://www.connectionstrings.com") that answers my question "How do I import ".mdb" files into SQL Server?" :thumbsup:

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

Of course you use connection strings to access databases.

Not always it depends how you are accessing the database. In VB you can use ADO, Adodc, OLE DB, ODBC, RDS, DAO, Jet, JRO, and the old Data control. ADO, DAO, Adodc and the Data control are the common ones used. You only need connection strings with ADO.

"How do I import ".mdb" files into SQL Server?" :thumbsup:

I've never used SQL Server so I can't help you with that one Bob.

Keith

#7 Ben E. Brady

Ben E. Brady

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:25 AM

Hi Bob,

This should be pretty easy... Depending upon which version of MS Access you are using. Access has an "Upsize Wizard" that will help you move the tables from MS Access to SQL Server. The actual menu commands will vary between versions, i.e. 2007 will be different from 2003, but it's fairly straightforward once you find out where it's located in your version.

In 2003, go to the Tools menu, Select Database Utilities then select Upsizing Wizard. You may have to expand the menu if you have personalized menus turned on. I don't have 2007 installed here to let you know what the menu commands are, but you should be able to find it if you poke around a little bit.

One thing you will definitely want to do is to create an ODBC connection using the ODBC Administrator applet and make sure you create a SYSTEM or MACHINE DSN as opposed to a User DSN.

The other way you can migrate the data would be to export the tables to ASCII format and pull them into SQL Server using the Management Studio Import Database task.

Hope this helps you get started.

Ben E. Brady
--
Ben E. Brady

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users