Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen reboot loop

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 mumbojumbo28

mumbojumbo28

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

Hi everyone, my computer has a ton of problems, but the one that requires the most urgency is a continuous boot loop on my secondary sata drive.
The stop error on the blue screen is 0x00000024 and also has ntfs.sys under it on the next line.Whenever my secondary sata drive is plugged in,
the computer just reboots and the only way to get my comp to start is the unplug that hard drive. I have read that one way to fix this is to run chkdsk /r,
but should I back up my data before i run chkdsk? And if yes, how do i even back up my data? Because it is a sata drive i cannot slave it. I have also read that people
with the same problem who try to put the hard drive in another computer causes that computer to boot loop too. I have read that another way to fix the problem is to put
NTFS4DOS (http://www.geekswhoknow.com/articles/stop-0x00000024-0x0000024-0x24-ntfs-file-sys-error-code.htm) on a floppy and boot it but the problem is that i have no floppy drive.
Another weird thing is that everytime i turn on my computer, there is a loud noise, it seems to have started ever since my computer has gotten a lot of problems. However, it seems to come from a
fan because whenever i touch the fan or tap the case where it is mounted the sound stops but comes back the next day when i turn on my computer.

Thanks for everyone's help. I really want to get my data off these seagate drives to somewhere safe ( i have had two 7200.11 seagate drives with updated firmware fail on me). I have a TON of stuff to do and getting this off my to do list would be great.

btw can anyone recommend a hard drive that is very reliable? My older seagate drive is still running but these newer seagate sata drives are horrible. My trust in computers has drastically changed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:57 PM

OK, first ting ill say is if the data on the hdd's is important, you are probably best of going to a professional to get it looked at as it sounds like it has died, because windows is bootlooping whenever its plugged in, which is a pretty bad sign. The couple of drives that i have looked at that were causing that problem caused it in the 4 test systems i use, however there are 2 things that i can think of that might work
1. If you have a sata external drive enclosure you can swap out the old drive and connect the failing one to it, that worked once for me, the rest of the times it still bluescreened.

This is from thcbytes, thank him if it works, make sure the second drive is connected when booting from the cd

Hi,
I have another option for you.

I would like you to boot up with another OS....Linux. You will boot off a CD-Iso. You will run that OS on Ram only. You will then be able to see your HDD, will mount it and transfer files to a flash drive. This is what you need to do...

- Download on another computer Puppy Linux to your desktop. It might take a while so be patient.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distri...6-seamonkey.iso

- You need to then burn the Iso to a CD disc. Here is a good freeware app if you do not already have one. IsoRecorder
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/downloa...corderV2RC1.msi

- Now you need to take the Cd to your bad PC. Do you know how to boot from the Cd? During the POST tap Esc (F2 and del sometimes also works) and get into the Bios. Once in the Bios maneuver to and change the Boot order to Cd. Exit out and choose the option to save your changes.

- Reboot. This will launch Puppy Linux!!! The directions from here are fairly self explanatory to load the OS. It will configure your screen resolution, language...etc.

- Right click on your HDD. You will find it in the lower left hand corner of your screen. Choose to mount the drive then you can access it....

- Connect a flashdrive or external HDD and transfer your files!!!!

Let me know if you have any questions.
Regards,
t

The noise on bootup is usually either fan noise or vibrating cd drive, the easiest way to tell is to take the side of the case off and check where the noise is physically coming from.

Edited by Charybdis, 12 March 2009 - 11:59 PM.

#3 mumbojumbo28

mumbojumbo28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:50 AM

Thanks Charybdis, i guess the safest thing to do is to get my data off. I'm not familiar with linux but I'm pretty sure that method would work because i have heard of people using Knoppix to access their data
In the meantime while i look for a reliable hard drive ( if any one can recommend a good one... ) it would still be extremely helpful if my other questions could be answered! Thx!

#4 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:04 AM

Well, ive been a happy seagate user for years but it seems that there has recently been a bad batch (1tb version i think), my next choice from there are western digitals, i avoid samsung drives because every single one of the damn things failed within a year i bought them. and the hitachi (ibm) drives had a higher then normal failure rate.

as mentioned with the fan noise, just open up the case and see if you can find the offending fan.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:55 AM

FWIW: In my experience, there is no correlation at all between a given hard drive failure...and a given manufacturer.

A hard drive fails for the same reason that any other device may fail...unforeseen quality control issues, human error, unanticipated events of a human/electrical nature, etc.

The STOP error you listed (0x00000024) can be indicative of various things, the following excerpt is taken from www.aumha.org (a reputable site for such information).

"0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software.

I suggest running Chkdsk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions."

IMO, anytime a user has a known problem with NTFS, he/she should immediately either move the data from that troubled file system...or employ a data recovery program to do same (if the partition is not accessible by normal means). After one of these alternatives is accomplished, that would be the time to attempt troubleshooting (which may ultimately lead to deletion of the partition and creation of it anew).

Louis

#6 mumbojumbo28

mumbojumbo28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

Thanks hamluis, I guess I'll just get my data off first before running chkdsk. I have had some bad experiences with chkdsk before

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:45 PM

Go to the hdd manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic tool to determine the condition of the hdd.

Running chkdsk shouldn't effect your data.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 mumbojumbo28

mumbojumbo28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:02 AM

Thx dc3 but the problem is that I have SeaTools on my comp by i'm not sure if i'm even using it right. I did all the tests (short, long, generic) on my working drive but it fails for some reason. I have not had a problem on my working drive except that it has 1 bad sector. whenever i test my working drive or a drive that is acting funny, a grey bar moves slowly but before it completes, it just says FAIL, no explanation or any information. And at this point, i can't even run seatools on my boot loop causing hard drive because it won't even boot, and if there was a way to boot diagnostic tools on start up, i wouldn't be to sure of it because of the previously stated reasons.
Anyways, my data is gonna have to sit tight for awhile because i don't have time to buy a hard drive or burn a puppy linux cd. ATM i am just trying to get as much info as i can until i have time to actually do something.

#9 mumbojumbo28

mumbojumbo28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:14 PM

Okay, so right now I have booted puppy linux and have tried mounting both partitions on my boot loop causing hard drive. 1 partition mounts with no problem, but when i mount the second partition a red box pops up and it says that there is a ntfs error ( it is aware of the error but there is no error in puppy linux) it also says it can mount the partition but only in read-only so im not sure if i can back-up or copy files. It also says that I should run chkdsk /f in windows. Of course, i cannot boot windows (unless i can find my xp cd). But before i do anything i want to back up my data. So my questions is how do i back up data in puppy linux? btw im not experienced with any sort of non graphical user interface (im just an ordinary guy with pc problems) . So if there is going to be lots of command typing plz be specific on how to do them. Thx ( i do not have a new hard drive to back up to yet but i want to familiarize myself so when i have bought a new drive i am ready).
Thx for anyone's help, knowing that i can somehow access my data makes me a bit more hopeful, but now the problem is backing it up.

#10 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:40 AM

http://puppylinux.org/wiki/archives/old-wi...cumentation/rox

hope this helps

#11 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:43 AM

Hi mumbojumbo,
Welcome to BC, :thumbsup:
I am coming in a little late here. Sorry. Bring me up to speed and I can walk you through possibly saving your data with Linux. First - take a look at this post. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1159717
Hope this helps,
t
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#12 mumbojumbo28

mumbojumbo28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

Charybdis. i clicked your link but i get a 403 forbidden error, ill search the puppy linux website, but if i need to type commands, ill need some help

nvm it seems that the whole puppy linux website is down

thcbytes, i followed your instructions on booting puppy linux but now the problem is how to back up the data. The hard drive in question is a 500 gb drive i use as storage which has 2 partitions. When i mount the second partition puppy linux says that it is read-only because there is a ntfs error, which matches with my windows error. How do i back up my data? especially because one of the partitions is read-only. Can i copy read-only files? and if i can, can i just uncheck the read-only once i have copied them? and if that is the case. will my programs still work properly? If not, are there any other ways to back up data?

thx

(this was answered in your link. You can uncheck everything afterwards. But i want to know if the programs will still work)
(Plus its a really big hdd with tons of files)

Edited by mumbojumbo28, 15 March 2009 - 08:14 PM.

#13 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

I am concerned about the partition with the errors. It might not be recoverable. If the volume was okay then you would be able to mount and copy it with Linux. I need to look @ Puppy. I think it has a built in hard drive assessment tool. I will let you know.

And yes you are correct. Just uncheck "read only" from the good partition and you should be able to transfer your files. You will have to reinstall your programs though. Unless you originally made an image of your drive, which you did not, this is typical unfortunately.

Regards,
t
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

#14 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:45 AM

Hi mumbojumbo,

if you create an image of a hard drive with bad sectors then mount it on another drive will the bad sectors transfer?

If the original drive is corrupt then an image of the drive will be an exact corrupt copy

just a quick question, when u create an image of a partition is the image suppose to be the same size as the partition or smaller?

If it is an image - then it is an exact copy. I use ShadowProtect. You can read about it here. It is not freeware but money well spent. I create an image of my entire hard drive. When the original hard drive dies....they all die eventually....then I can restore the exact image of that drive on a new drive. All programs, data and even the operating system is reproduced.

Be careful because not all imaging software is equal. Many purport to image the system but do not stand up to the challenge. There is a very good article here at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2259168,00.asp

Hope that helps,
t
Posted Image

#15 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:45 AM

Hi again mumbojumbo,
One more thing. Aside from my post above. I should mention DriveImage XML. The link is to PCmags review. It is freeware and is reliable. It does not do incremntal backup jobs and does require that you create a BartPE boot disc. Other than that it reliably images your drive. And again it is free.
Regards,
t
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users