Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replace video card?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 justienexx

justienexx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:20 PM

I've had my Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT installed for nearly a year now, running on Vista 32bit, with no problems at all, great performance. The other day my computer froze up completely, I shut it off, tried to restart, and Vista wouldn't boot at all. I also had some artifacts (first horizontal, then vertical bars) and full screen discoloration (tinting) start when I attempted to boot it. I'd never had the artifacts before, though my screen had started to occasionally "tint" at random, sometimes just for a second or two, sometimes for hours, before returning to normal color. I was able to start in safe mode, ran some diagnostics and tried to use some auto-repair tools, nothing would make Vista boot other than in safe mode. I ended up reinstalling Vista completely, and it will boot, but only with standard VGA graphics. When I try to install/update the drivers to use my Nvidia card, Vista won't boot. It will show the loading screen, but never makes it to the windows logo, the screen just goes black. I can load into safe mode and switch it back to standard VGA, then it boots.

I would assume that my card needs to be replaced, but I wanted to be sure that was the only problem. No matter what now, the screen is always tinted, and always has discolored vertical bars running over the image. It's not distorted, just color variants. If it's just my video card, why are there visual issues while just running standard vga for display? I had someone tell me to replace my monitor as well, would anything cause both my monitor and video card to fail at the same time?

Also - of course have triple checked all connections. Just prior to the initial freeze up I hadn't changed any settings, drivers, updates, hardware - nothing. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:27 PM

First make sure the fan on it is working right .
If it isn't replacing the fan may fix it

Boot in to Safe Mode
Go to the Device Manager & uninstall it
Restart the computer.
If the card still works right it should start & reinstall the video card.

If the the problem is still present I would replace it.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users