Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading and Replacing Questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 calirider

calirider

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

I was just given a Compaq SR1115CL and I am trying to figure out if it is worth putting any money into. I want to make it my first Linux computer, Ubuntu 8.10.

First and foremost it has a single stick of 512 DDR SDRAM 184pin 333, AMD 2.08, and 120GB hard drive.

If I want to put another stick of 512 do I need to replace the stick that is in there also or can I just pop in another 512 DDR SDRAM 184pin of any brand? It is 333MHz will it matter if I put in 400MHz, I can find 400 for less money than the 333? Will this work: http://cgi.ebay.com/512MB-PC2700-DDR-333Mh...%3A1|240%3A1308

The cd burner is not reading disks, e.g. if I put in a cd in it starts to read then stops and will not bring up the info on the cd at all. I burned an image of Ubuntu and it came right up on my other computer but not this one. If I replace the drive can I use everything in the computer or would I need to get new connectors? The drive is a Samsung SM-xxx (forgot) which is an IDE can I put in an EIDE?

Should I install Ubuntu by itself or a dual OS with this system, have XP now?

I have never opened a computer before but do have a small amount of knowledge about them, I am way over my head when it comes to this stuff.

Basic computer specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...;product=421624

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 calirider

calirider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:04 PM

I was just given a Compaq SR1115CL and I am trying to figure out if it is worth putting any money into. I want to make it my first Linux computer, Ubuntu 8.10.

First and foremost it has a single stick of 512 DDR SDRAM 184pin 333, AMD 2.08, and 120GB hard drive.

If I want to put another stick of 512 do I need to replace the stick that is in there also or can I just pop in another 512 DDR SDRAM 184pin of any brand? It is 333MHz will it matter if I put in 400MHz, I can find 400 for less money than the 333? Will this work: http://cgi.ebay.com/512MB-PC2700-DDR-333Mh...%3A1|240%3A1308

The cd burner is not reading disks, e.g. if I put in a cd in it starts to read then stops and will not bring up the info on the cd at all. I burned an image of Ubuntu and it came right up on my other computer but not this one. If I replace the drive can I use everything in the computer or would I need to get new connectors? The drive is a Samsung SM-xxx (forgot) which is an IDE can I put in an EIDE?

Should I install Ubuntu by itself or a dual OS with this system, have XP now?

I have never opened a computer before but do have a small amount of knowledge about them, I am way over my head when it comes to this stuff.

Basic computer specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...;product=421624

Thank You

Edited by calirider, 12 March 2009 - 02:05 PM.

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

According to Compaq it has a maximum of 1GB of memory , 2 X 512MB , so you can add another 512MB stick.

If it has 2 X 256MB for a total of 512MB you will have to replace both sticks to get 1GB.

The best bet on the CD drive is simply replace it.
If you look on Newegg you can usually get a DVD burner that will use/burn most anything [CD & DVD] for less the $30, delivered.

On the dual boot thing with XP & Ubuntu.
Setting up a dual boot with 2 versions of Windows is simple.
I think a dual boot with Linux is a little more complicated.
If you go the dual boot route I suggest you make a seperate partition & format it before installing Ubuntu
If you do that when you install you can select the empty partition & use the "take over whole disk" installation
[Ubuntu will only use the empty partition since it is recognized as a seperate drive.

I have a unit I built out of "left overs" with Ubuntu on it.
I used a Asus TUSL2-C motherboard, P 3 1.4GHz "Tualatin" CPU [overclocked to 1.5GHz], 512MB PC133 SDRAM, 40GB hard drive.
It runs Ubuntu quite well.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 calirider

calirider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:59 PM

When i hit f1 at boot up it says that only one bank of dimm is taken. So can I just plug in another stick or is there more to it than that, driver or anything? And, is that ebay stick good enough, or should I just leave it at 512mb if I plan on doing only Ubuntu on that desktop?

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

If only 1 stick is in the computer you have an empty memory slot.
You can just add another 512MB stick in the empty slot.
Memory doesn't require drivers.

When you install the new memory before you open the case unplug it
Press the on button to desipate any stored electricity.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 calirider

calirider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:08 PM

OK, thanks that newegg webiste has CORSAIR 512 on sale for 12.99 with rebate is that a good brand?

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:58 PM

"CORSAIR 512 on sale for 12.99 with rebate is that a good brand? "

As far as I know Corsair is good .

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

if your memory configuration is one stick like 512 meg, then you should be able to throw in another 512 mb stick no problem. however, if you throw in 400 mhz in with 333 mhz then it will run at the slower 333 mhz. for best performance you need both sticks to run at the same clock speed, voltage, and timings. If you just want to play with linux, then I would just install that on it, but its your call dual booting wont hurt anything provided you still have enough hard drive space left over to run linux and a swap partition on.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:18 AM

I believe your PC can hold up to 2GB of RAM. As for the drive issue, EIDE is essentially a dead spec with only Western Digital using it. EIDE is largely backwards compatible, but I do suggest getting a standard IDE. Almost all optical or removable drives use either IDE or SATA, not EIDE. You can purchase a simple IDE optical drive like an LG Combo drive that will read and write CD's and DVD's. Dual booting a PC is a little more complex given the need to either partition a drive or use a second one, if you're totally new to Linux or are unsure as to whether or not you want to use it permanently, you may want to keep XP on there just in case. The GRUB bootloader will handle everything when you start your PC. As a final note, it is not a good idea to purchase computer components on eBay. The parts are rarely under warranty and you cannot send back items that are dead on arrival.

3939.png

#10 calirider

calirider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

Dual booting a PC is a little more complex given the need to either partition a drive or use a second one, if you're totally new to Linux or are unsure as to whether or not you want to use it permanently, you may want to keep XP on there just in case. The GRUB bootloader will handle everything when you start your PC. As a final note, it is not a good idea to purchase computer components on eBay. The parts are rarely under warranty and you cannot send back items that are dead on arrival.

I am going to do a full drive take over with Ubuntu because this computer I got for free and I have two other desktops with XP and a laptop with Vista and I really want to learn Linux so that will make me. I know I should not get parts like that off e-bay but it says one year warranty and was less than 12 to my door and the person had high feedback.

Thanks for the info on the IDE/EIDE formats I am going to get an IDE off of the newegg website.

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:06 AM

yeah ebays kinda hit and miss. I ordered a gigabyte socket 478 mobo for an older build and it worked great, but ive had other things where I got ripped off with. so if you do buy something off ebay really watch the reviews on the seller, but I would try buying parts new off of someplace like newegg or tigerdirect if you could.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#12 calirider

calirider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

Ya, I only ordered it because it was cheap and this is just kind of an experiment for me. If it does not work then ill get a cheap one off of newegg when I order my new dvd burner. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users