Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Failing to Boot (Dont have XP Disc)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 roguetrader

roguetrader

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

Hello all.
Trying to fix dads laptop. The basics are, failing to load XP (gets stuck on background of DT page for about 5 secs then logs off). Tried running Safe Mode, same thing. Ran Diagnostics came up with Dell error Code 0ff0 136c which seems to suggest prob with HD. However, when I asked him about any adjustments he might have made said something about Norton throwing up a Trojan warning and he clicked a button or 2. Not sure if it was a fake pop up which has resulted in a virus going into the startup process. The big prob is we dont have any XP discs which would have come with laptop to run any recovery. Do I have to create a new disc? and if so how do I go about this (I have my laptop with working XP on it if helps). Or is there anything else I can try? Appreciate any help. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:36 PM

Performing an Installation Without Using CDs

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 roguetrader

roguetrader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:16 AM

Hi, surely I can achieve a startup without having to wipe everything i.e. full restore which is what the above link seems to be suggesting will happen?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:14 AM

<<Or is there anything else I can try?>>

Sure...you can try to borrow or have someone burn you a copy of a Microsoft XP CD (same version) and try to use the repair tools on the CD or do a repair install of the operating system. A MS CD can be used with your valid Dell key/license to do a repair install.

But I'd be more concerned with the possible malware situation before I worried about doing any repairs that may be negated by malware.

Which might make it a good idea to do a clean install...I don't know, but I can guess.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2009 - 08:15 AM.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:24 AM

Your symptom is one I have seen several times in the past month and has generally been the result of a Trojan being partially clobbered. The last bit that was left removed all of your permissions so you no longer have permission to log in.
It may be possible (operative being MAY) to correct this issue; but, I have tried for many hours and, even when I got to where I could log in, the O/S was still massively crippled.
Your best bet is to connect the drive to another PC that works, copy off the files you want (pictures, taxes, Quicken, etc) then start from scratch, especially if the CTRL-F11 still works.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#6 roguetrader

roguetrader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for replies. Ok I managed to get the recovery XP CD. Have tried fixing the MBR etc but still not getting anywhere im guessing due to this virus. Is it possible to have 2 copies of XP on the laptop and thereby copy the files I need from the working version to CD then do a complete fresh install? If that is possible can anyone suggest how I do this? I have already tried to copy a fresh version onto the C: but it is giving me a warning the current version may become crippled. If the only remaining option is taking the HD to another machine then so be it but thought would ask this question first. Thanks.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

<<Is it possible to have 2 copies of XP on the laptop and thereby copy the files I need from the working version to CD then do a complete fresh install?>>

It's possible to have multiple copies of XP on any hard drive...provided that you have the capability of creating a primary partition for each on that drive...and provided you have some way to either copy or install XP.

A user can even create an exact duplication of the partition, using a 3d-party program, if he/she has the proper program and available hard drive space or DVD space. If you want more info on this, try using Google with the phrase "disk imaging/cloning" or something close to that.

It's also possible to remove the hard drive from the laptop...connect it to a second, protected, working system...and copy data files from the troubled system to the new system or DVD, etc. The key word is "protected" or you may merely wind up with two infected systems.

Of course...you will not be able to copy any programs installed..from system to system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users