Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not (usually) boot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:43 AM

So, I have a HP Pavilion tx1220us, and this past Monday, it failed to start for the first time. I put it to sleep, then, when I went to turn it on an hour later in class, the fan turned on, the HDD revved up, and the CD drive mad its usual noises, but nothing appeared on the screen. Not even the backlight turned on. I waited a few minutes, and there was no further progress (the "drive working" light didn't blink at all). I re-set it a few times, to no avail. Eventually, I took the battery out, and didn't re-insert it until I got back to my apartment an hour later. Then it booted just fine.

This has been the case ever since. Whether I put it in sleep mode, or shut it down, it rarely boots on the first try. Sometimes I press Esc, F11, and F12 rapidly, and this seems to make it work more often, but I don't think it really helps. The only thing I've found that works regularly is un-plugging it and taking the battery out for a few minutes.

I have tried a few things to remedy the problem. I first did malware scans, found some stuff, and cleaned it. Norton made me re-start, and I think it managed to do it that time. This didn't actually solve anything, though. I wasn't expecting it would, because I don't think malware can take effect that early in the boot. I also applied all windows updates (for both XP and Vista, as I dual-boot (though I rarely touch Vista)).

I then flashed the BIOS. This has fixed a seemingly un-related problem in the past, and there was a new update available. The flash worked, but didn't help.

I've had a suspicion all along that the problem is that my HDD may be about to die. I've actually had this suspicion for quite some time, because it makes odd noises. One of them sounds like there is a loose particle that gets rattled around by the spinning platters, and it also sometimes beeps. This beep may actually be a squeak. It's a Samsung HM320JI that I got from Newegg because my original died. I ran the windows Check Disk thing (though not the version that requires a re-start), and that didn't seem to find anything. I also downloaded Personal SmartCheck and HD Tune to look at the SMART stats. HD Tune says the drive is healthy, but SmartCheck says it will die within 60 days. I plan on running the lengthy disk check, as well as the disk check that is build into my BIOS soon.

My current suspicion is that something is wrong with my RAM, but I really don't know. I posted this in the internal hardware section, because internal hardware is the only thing I can think of that would cause this problem. Any ideas? I will gladly provide any additional information that may be necessary.

PS: I already backed up all my data, by the way. Also, I probably won't want to do anything drastic until my Spring Break, the week after next.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:23 AM

My guess is a faulty connection or a motherboard problem, but have you tried reseating the ram or trying different configurations of it? ( like different slots, taking one module out, etc)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:51 AM

Have you tried an external monitor to determine?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

I don't have access to an external monitor yet, so I haven't tried that, but I did try messing with the RAM. That produced results. I determined that one stick causes more problems than the other (it won't start if that one is installed), but the other one isn't perfect, either.

What happened was that I tried booting with only the bad stick, which didn't work, then I tried with only the good one. That also didn't work until the second try. There was more delay than usual before the POST screen, though. Even with the good stick, however, I was unable to resume from sleep mode. If I re-set during the attempted resume, however, I can successfully boot again. Another thing I noticed is that, after I get past the welcome screen, Windows seems to load faster on just one stick.

Also, there are 2 slots for Ram, one below the other (when the computer is upside-down). Is the bottom one the primary slot? It wouldn't start with either ram stick in the top slot, though I could do more thorough testing. Also, it didn't load the POST screen when I tried starting with no ram at all. Is that normal?

I ran a memory test yesterday (Memtest86 version 3.5) from a bootable CD. The first time, I forgot to tell it that I had multiple cores, but it came up with no errors. When I ran it again and told it I had multiple cores, it got part way through (50% ish), then crashed. The whole computer just turned off. After this, when I hit the power switch, the computer would only power up for about half a second, then go off again. I can't remember if I did anything specific (I probably took the battery out, though), but after several tries, it started up and got stuck before the POST screen again. After several more tries, I was able to load the OS.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:52 AM

might not be the memory modules, it could be the memory controller on the motherboard. have you tried the memory modules in a different computer?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:00 AM

The only thing I've found that works regularly is un-plugging it and taking the battery out for a few minutes.

Just curious, but have you put in a new battery? :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:27 PM

I will be able to try using memory from another computer next weekend, and I don't have an extra battery to test with. I'm fairly certain the battery is fine, though. I just took it out to dis-charge the ram completely. The computer still runs fine on battery power.

Unless you're talking about the little button-cell on the motherboard. I haven't messed with that.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

I would try the memory modules from this computer in the other computer as well. if the problems the motherboard, your memory will work fine in the other one. if the other one experiences the same symptoms then the problems the memory.

picard5.jpg

#9 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:58 AM

I will definitely try that next weekend and let you know. I think it's most likely a ram problem, because the problem changes depending on which module I use. No matter what, though, it doesn't resume from sleep, so it could be a combination of the memory and the controller being bad, I guess.

EDIT: I have noticed a battery related issue, actually. It doesn't seem to start whatsoever if it isn't plugged in. After it starts, though, I can un-plug it with no problems.

Edited by Lanscader, 15 March 2009 - 06:29 PM.

#10 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:32 PM

Wow. I had completely forgotten about this topic. Anyway, I got brand new ram, and that didn't help anything. It turns out that this is a fairly common problem for the tx1000 series, so I'm going to get another laptop. I can live with this one for the rest of the school year, though. Best Buy said they could send it off to HP to be fixed, but it would be a $400-$500 repair. That's more than half the cost of the replacement I'm thinking of (tx2500 series).

#11 bigpizza2000

bigpizza2000

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:31 AM

This sounds like the exact same problem I am trying to solve, I have an HP Pavillion desktop PC - coincidence?

I don't have a battery (!) so i tried using a different power supply to no avail.

The other suggestions on here seem rather complicated for my little brain, I thought it may have been something as simple as a loose connection but it seems to be getting worse and I have been unable to load the comp for 3 days now so I can't even try running virus/malware scans etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions please, or think it's worth me taking it into a shop to be looked at before buying a replacement?

Thanks
Jen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users