Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speak Easy Guidelines

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:28 AM

Welcome to the Speak Easy, a forum for discussion of (nearly) any topic. There are only three simple rules: No swearing, no flaming, no name calling. At the least, your post will be edited to remove the offending portions. At the worst, your post will be removed.

All topics must be approved by the Moderators. Any member may start a topic, but it will not appear until approved.

That's it. If there are any questions, add them here.

Edited by groovicus, 09 June 2005 - 01:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:30 AM

:thumbsup: Groovicus: I want to do the right thing, hence, may I implore you to be more explicit as to what topics are off limit?? I would be most appreciative if you can expound on this point, and I believe it will enable all of us to ( discern whats acceptable /not acceptable )formulate clearer decision to post or not to post a topic(to avoid screwing up/making a fool of ourself). For example(if I want to consider to post this topic or not): "What do you think what topics should be considered forbidden and what topics should be considered acceptable to post on the Speakeasy??". Would this be an acceptable topic/meeting the criterias of this forum/why or why not?? If this is an acceptable topic, can you start the thread for me? :flowers: Thank you very much for this great subforum. I appreciated immensely all that you do. Respectfully yours. YOYO. :trumpet:

Edited by MGBY, 04 November 2006 - 12:43 AM.

#3 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:49 PM

I think MGBY is right. I think we have to know what's the meaning of "nearly", because I put a new topic, I think last thursday, in the Forum and, until now, I don't see it in here. Maybe it is one of the "nearly" topics that you considered forbidden.
If so, I would like to know. :thumbsup:
Regards,
Darthy
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:23 PM

I don't speak for the BC Admins.
It is a review process by BC staff.
Admins do have the final say on any topic.
We look at a multitude of aspects before publishing.
This process of review is not paramount in the BC scheme of life either.
One just has to be patient and wait for the world to turn.

The forum guidelines are as simply stated above.
Members are contacted if/should a topic be refused for publication with a reason.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:18 PM

To borrow a phrase from the NewYorker, BC moderators "lead complicated lives" and may not have the time at the moment of posting to review, think about, and discuss a proposed topic: is it, for example, timely and is it "neutrally worded" so as to invite comments from all viewpoints?
Between scrutinising each and every post for SPAM and unacceptable language, not to mention helping members with computer problems, keeping posts in the most appropriate forums, it is sometimes difficult to find time to discuss proposed topics---especially as different moderators are online at different times.
Be assured that each proposed topic is given attention, and decisions or questions or suggestions are communicated to the members who wish to post a speakeasy topic.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:18 AM

I do not understand why a post has to be approved. I am a member of many forums that have a section such as this that do not require post approval. A simple pinned statement of what can or cannot be posted would be adequate . I also believe that if a member has a post that is not approved by a mod that the member should be notified as to why it was not approved.

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:06 AM

Appears you haven't read our rules for the forum or the board?

quote from topic #1 above....

Welcome to the Speak Easy, a forum for discussion of (nearly) any topic. There are only three simple rules: No swearing, no flaming, no name calling. At the least, your post will be edited to remove the offending portions. At the worst, your post will be removed.

All topics must be approved by the Moderators. Any member may start a topic, but it will not appear until approved.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/boardrules.php

We make the choices. You don't.

Edited by KoanYorel, 23 January 2009 - 07:08 AM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#8 groovicus

groovicus
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:36 AM

@GTK48, your post was moved to a more appropriate section of the forums. IO apologize for not PMing you, but after 5 hours of classes, 5 hours of work, an hour commute, 3 hours of homework, an hour or so dealing with administrative issues on this forum, and another hour dealing with issues on a few other forums/checking emails/eating, I really didn't have the time. Your post has been moved here.

The Speak Easy is moderated because we often have people that, for some unknown reason, think they have a right to come on a privately owned forum and spew hateful, and shameful rhetoric, and then try to claim freedom of speech. Or they are too lazy to see if a topic already exists and start an identical topic. In the interest of keeping things civil, before we approve a topic, we make sure that the topic has been framed in such a way that it will encourage discussion. Topics meant to bash are not approved. Topics that do not lend themselves to debate are not approved, and are generally moved to a more appropriate section if possible. People that start a topic without putting their opinion out there generally will find that their topics are not approved either. Topics that rely on stereotypes and ignorance are generally not approved. We do not punish our members for behavior that violates rules in the Speak Easy. I think you will find that on the other forums you visit, when members get out of line, they are banned. Or if they disagree with the staff, etc. We don't do that. We understand that people get emotional over some of the things that are discussed here. Our solution, when our members go overboard, is to simply delete the offending post. Sometimes we have topics that no matter what we do, still degenerate into garbage. Those posts are either locked, or they disappear. At any rate, our members trust us to respect their opinions and treat them with reverence. As such, we usually have very good discussions.

Hopefully that answers your question.

A simple pinned statement of what can or cannot be posted would be adequate

There is no way such a list could be inclusive of all acceptable topics, or list all unacceptable topics. It would be unnecessarily restricting.

#9 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:53 AM

:thumbsup:

Can I say something nicely?

If you want to Post a Thread you are not really sure of, just ask first?

I am an Aussie? I try to ensure that I don't ruffle any feathers, but sometimes that happens?

Just think before you Post that Thread? If in doubt, ask? So Simple? Noone gets upset if you ask, Mate!

:flowers: :trumpet:

#10 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:08 AM

When one submits a Topic to discuss,then it is decided then and there,whether it's suitable or not.
Admin and Mods can't make a decision,till seeing the post in it's entirety.
I can't see, how asking first, helps.IMO.
Groovicus has explained,clearly, what's required.
Abacus7 is right.You have any doubt, about posting,Don't.
We come from all corners of the Globe,and what seems OK to you,may offend someone else.
We have to be very careful, what we Post. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 23 January 2009 - 09:32 AM.

#11 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:38 AM

Often simple things that Aussies and Poms think nothing about could be quite Offensisive to, example Americans?

Best if we run it past some one first?

Edit. Better to have a gentle Edit first, rather than a Delete?

The Staff tries their best, but still have heaps of different Cultures to deal with.

I can honestly say that the Staff are posititivatelly dealling with this in the best way they can. Much to their Credit.

:flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by Abacus 7, 23 January 2009 - 09:51 AM.

#12 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

@Groovicus OK so then it normally is standard practice to notify. :flowers: I really was not referring to mine but another new member sent me a PM about it and I did not know how to answer so that is why I posted this.

Thanks

#13 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:14 PM

Appears you haven't read our rules for the forum or the board?

quote from topic #1 above....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/boardrules.php

We make the choices. You don't.

No, I read the rules and I knew that a post had to be approved, I just never saw anywhere that said the postee would get a PM explaining why it was not permitted.

#14 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:49 AM

GTK, if you have questions, you can either contact the mod for that topic or use the contact us feature.

I tend to repeat myself a lot, as I forget what I have posted. That equals thread spamming. Also, I tend to get very heated. So if you have questions about why your post or topic was deleted, or how to deal with someone else, contact BC. The folks here are very helpful. :thumbsup:

#15 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:56 AM

I agree, that the best way, is to ask Admin,or Moderators.
They are really Helpful, Experienced and Friendly. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users