Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with adtrgt.com and possibly other things

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 goddessofpeep

goddessofpeep

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:16 AM

I've been trying to fix a problem with a browser hijacker with no success. I've got several things going on, and it seems to be getting worse. I'm getting random pop-ups including some nasty ones attempting to disguise themselves as warning messages from Windows about a virus(then I get the "downloading anti virus software" pop-up). Every now and then IE will start opening up dozens of tabs all directed to some variation of url.adtrgt.com. Yesterday Youtube stopped working on IE, and I've been having some issues with reading pdfs on my machine.

I'm running XP. I've performed full scans with Kapersky Anti-Virus 2009(updated this week) and Ad-Aware(just downloaded and updated this week). Ad-Aware keeps pulling up 5 unknown objects, and can't seem to remove them. Kapersky's not any better.

I have backed up my important information, and I'm hoping I can get some help with is before I can't take it anymore and reformat my hard drive. It's getting worse.

Please help.

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PoliSciBri

PoliSciBri

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:10 AM

I ran into a very similar problem a couple weeks ago on a friend's machine. I have a bunch of antivirus tools and stuff on a flash drive, so I took it to her house to run it all. The damn virus wouldn't let me run ANY of them. Even in safe mode.

This may seem like a silly question to you, but have you tried a system restore? That's what I did to her computer. I just restored it to about two months back, and THEN I was able to run all of my tools. Had her computer running like brand new in a couple of hours. I found, like, 36 trojans, worms, rootkits, etc.

If you haven't done a system restore, try it. Go back a couple of months, then you should be fine.
I'll think of something.

#3 PoliSciBri

PoliSciBri

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:14 AM

Oh, one more thing. Switch to Firefox or Google Chrome for your web browsing one you get it all fixed up.
I'll think of something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users