Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus testing for removal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RayLa

RayLa

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:07 AM

Hi guys just wanted to add a little topic. I have been doing research and testing on many antivirus products to get rid of those pesky yet creatively designed viruses that always come up on my customers PCs. I know most people say "AVG free for the WIN! "but honestly for virus removal and virus protection I find that it just wasn't good enough. I even had the company get the payed version for my testing and it still could not remove even simple worms and Trojans.gen.

Now here some stats I got from my hunnypot (def: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeypot_(computing). For spyware it really did the best which was concurrent with other websites. Yet this was only for SPYWARE. Trojans and the like it did great but for other types of malware, not so well. PC Resources used was 6% not scanning
Norton: Well like others I have many problems with this product. Some swear by it. I used the internet security (2009) product to do the testing as the 360 version usually just causes TONS of problems with the OS. Test went decent and its firewall did well, problem was from a users view it would block EVERYTHING and continue to annoy you for every program you run. It took two hours and fifteen minutes to remove the viruses. I tested both in normal mode and safe mode. Normal modes, 47% of the viruses were removed and safe mode 89%. Now considering I had over 3000 traces of infections it did very well. 7% not running.

<MOD EDIT HERE>
Kaspersky Internet Security 2009:
</a> I found that Kaspersky did the absolute best removing 67% in normal mode and 97% in safe mode. Also its firewall was not annoying like Nortons which was a cherry on top. Resources it used was only 4% which is amazing low from what I have seen. I recommend this now do to my testing and I would like to see if anyone has similar results.

Test was used with clone Hard Drive so that each had the same parameters. I just switched out the drives for each product. Test was performed with windows XP as i do not have licences for vista at this time.

Any thoughts or your personal experience on anti virus software will be gratefully appreciated.

Edited by usasma, 12 March 2009 - 10:23 AM.
Deleted referral link

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:36 PM

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use a paid for product or free alternative.

But an anti-virus program is not enough.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

See BC's Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps and List of Virus & Malware Resources.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 RayLa

RayLa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:31 PM

I Totally Agree! nothing is 100% foolproof i simply did the testing in order to see which did best removal. It was a company project but i thought the results were very interesting. I suggest if you have some free time run your own tests to see what i mean.

Anyone else have comments or other antivirus i should try to test?

Ray

#4 tokatee

tokatee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:24 PM

McAfee's Stinger

Hauri's ViRobot

Multi_AV.exe (4 command-line scanners - Sophos, TrendMicro, McAfee, & Kaspersky)

#5 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:00 PM

i still like avg better. ive been testing avg for sometime now. it really works well agenst torrent viruses, and website viruses.

ive tested avg on 23 torrents, it scans torrents whale its downloading. and ive tested avg on rough antivirus sites. such as antiviruson.com. but avg doesent have a boult in firewall, so i just got pc tools firewall.

im gowing to test avast next for a frend.

still not done with avg. will be soon.

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:04 PM

Anyone else have comments or other antivirus i should try to test?

Ray

Yep, I would love to see the results for ZoneAlarm as that is what I have used for years without any problems

#7 tokatee

tokatee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:57 AM

I was rather set back this morning when I received a PM from one of you, the PM reads:

"on the topic about honeypot, are you saying trend micro, norton, and mcaffe are the best?"

So I am thinking that this young feller is trying to entrap me into picking one, and then slamming me onto the ground for doing so. He has obviously missed the point about command-line scanners, and may not know the difference between both DOS & Windows. A Windows based AV GUI is limited in regard to its ability to detect & clean a system. They are ok, but you should not limit yourself to just using a single AV program and think your system is protected. I think quietman7's posting was by far the best advice on protection. I particularly agree with his statement:

"No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time."

During the past 20 years I have used many, many AV programs. As both quietman7 and myself have determined, a layered approach should be taken in regard to one's own computer security. As long as you take a layered approach, it really does not matter whose AV program you use.

If you must know how I keep a clean system, here goes: ESET, Multi_AV.exe, MBAM, Rootkit Revealer, Rootkit Unhooker, Radix, RootRepeal, GMER, Autoruns, Process Explorer, CCleaner, ATF-Cleaner, Hijack This, MVPS Hosts file, ThreatExpert Memory Scanner, PeerGuardian2, Stinger, ViRobot, SuperAntiSpyware, ComboFix, SBS&D, AdAware, Bootable CD AVs, aSquared, Nemisis, CureIt, SDFix, Virus Total, RegEdit, Acronis, various Worm & Trojan specific cls tools, and the list goes on, and on. However, my favorites are both the FDISK & FORMAT commands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users