Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Recovery

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 angryman2009

angryman2009

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:34 AM

2 Days ago my pc got infected w/ "Http fake scan webpage" virus. I have NIS 2009 and Avira Antivir Personal installed on my pc, and they both ignored the virus. Today NIS finally detected the virus and "fixed" it, after NIS fixed the problem w/ the virus, i couldn't logon to pc anymore, not even in safe mode. So I tried to restore system and did a recovery by mistake, kind of a newbie when it comes to pc's and viruses. Anyway 150GB of my HD is used up, but missing most of my programs, pictures, all documents and music. Is there anyway I can get this stuff back? Please dont tell me that all that stuff is lost for good. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

Edited by angryman2009, 12 March 2009 - 08:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:16 AM

With the limited information that you have given about what you did, more specifically how you went about trying the restore, I'm not sure what you did. I would suggest that you try doing a System Restore, choose a date prior to this.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.
The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore, you may get the message telling you that you will have to restart your computer to start, click ok. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 angryman2009

angryman2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:45 AM

I did a "System Recovery". I couldn't logon to pc, not even in safe mode. Every time I logged on, I was immediately logged off. I was advised to use my Recovery Disk, so I did, and when I did all files were deleted. For some strange reason my HD is still full, but im guessing its corrupted because I cant access any of my files on it. I have no restore points, well just the one that was created after system recovery. I was wondering if was a way to possibly recover the data that I cant access off the HD.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,684 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:59 AM

What did you do in the Recovery Console, what command did you use?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 angryman2009

angryman2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:21 AM

It gave me 2 options(System recovery destructive and system recovery backup) there was no restore option. I used the System Recovery backup option. If all my files were deleted, im wondering why my HD is still full. I'm wondering if I have to reinstall all my programs or if theres another solution. I apologize for the PM, this is my first time using a forum and was just trying to get answers quicker.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,684 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:01 AM

I misread what you had posted, you used the recovery disk rather than the Recovery Console. If you can't boot up I would suggest doing a repair installation, you shouldn't lose any of you data.

Note: The system repair function will remove any updates you have previously installed that are not included on the CD. Drivers will also be reverted to their original XP versions, as well as some settings (network & performance settings may sometimes be reset to their defaults). It may be necessary to reactivate your Windows XP as well. When finished, you will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update, because they are all replaced during repair.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,684 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:03 AM

On a side note, I noticed that you attempted to use bbcode to set the font Georgia, the reason that it didn't work is because your last portion with the [/] has to be at the very end of the text.

#8 angryman2009

angryman2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:44 PM

i can bootup and log on now, but the problem is that my computer is telling me that my Drive "C" is 70% full, which was right before virus attacked, but I cant access any of my old files or programs. I want to reinstall programs but i wont have enough room on HD to do so, unless it overwrites old files. idk what to do, im thinkin about reformatting HD and just starting over from scratch, which i really dont want to do if it can be avoided. can you give me some advice?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:49 PM

FWIW: Running NIS and Avira AntiVir Personal...is bound to cause system problems, since both are attempting to run real-time scans at the same time. NIS is the AV-plus-firewall product sold by Symantec.

I've used earlier versions of NIS and I currently use Avira AntiVir PE.

That may have contributed to your protection being apparently pierced in the past.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users