Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GOOGLE

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:50 PM

According to the press:

Google is to start targeting its internet advertisements according to what people look at on the web, a controversial technique that privacy groups fear will give the search engine group even greater access to personal information. The internet company will monitor the web pages that people visit and the YouTube videos they watch to create a profile of each user.
Source: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2fc07804-0e4b-11...00779fd2ac.html

What do you think about this? Did google cross the line?
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:16 PM

There is no such thing as privacy on the web. Only differing levels security. Notice I said security, not privacy. If data can be analyzed, it can be tracked and traced by someone somewhere.

I see this as nothing more than a ploy similar to frequent shopper discount cards at the grocery store. Where you punch in your 'member number' (Read IP Address) and they analyze your shopping habits and spit out relevant coupons. But if you don't like the 'Google' grocery store's policy. Use a different search engine. :thumbsup:

It comes with the territory of using the web, in my humble opinion.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:37 AM

Im sorry I thought everyone and their dog (as far as businesses go) already did that, I mean does anyone else get those annoying tracking cookies? I mean seriously, why are they throwing a fit now that googles doing it, I mean they are after all, a bit late in the game. . .

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:27 AM

Im sorry I thought everyone and their dog (as far as businesses go) already did that, I mean does anyone else get those annoying tracking cookies? I mean seriously, why are they throwing a fit now that googles doing it, I mean they are after all, a bit late in the game. . .

Yes the article said, that Yahoo is already doing it. I did not know that. Does yahoo have like a huge database with my IP, MAC address and all the sites I visted?

Btw. how to prevent tracking cookies? But to allowe non-tracking cookies?

#5 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:30 AM

I see this as nothing more than a ploy similar to frequent shopper discount cards at the grocery store. Where you punch in your 'member number' (Read IP Address) and they analyze your shopping habits and spit out relevant coupons. But if you don't like the 'Google' grocery store's policy. Use a different search engine. :thumbsup:

The difference is that you NEED to apply for the frequent shopper card, and you can decide not to use it, when you go to buy condoms.

However, google will put the tracking cookies automatically to your PC without your knowledge. And apply it always, not just when you want.

Yes I want to use a tracking free websites only. How to do that? How do I found out that this web is tracking me and this one not?

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,111 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:56 PM

There is no such thing as a tracking free website. You request data. How do they know where to send the bits and bytes? Your address! Guess what you're tracked........

You can make it more difficult to be tracked, yes. But no such thing as absolute anonymity. Otherwise you would not be able to surf the web. You ask for data, you have to identify yourself somehow to get it sent back to you. Kind of like sending in your signed lottery ticket reciept, but leaving off your return address. Okay you claimed it but......................... :thumbsup:

I also realize that you have to sign up for a shopper card, but it's the same principal. Pay with an ATM or credit card? Same thing applies there. Every electronic database profiles your habits, in some way shape or form. What toothpaste you buy, who you have an auto loan through. Your average monthly balance in the bank. etc. etc. etc. Quite often not by your specific name, but a unique identifier like a 'customer number' or account number.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:18 PM

But what worries me, is how can a web site /say google/ technically track what other sites I have been visiting?

The internet company will monitor the web pages that people visit and the YouTube videos they watch to create a profile of each user.

Btw. there is difference between what you buy and what think and feel. And a profile of what you do on internet is closer to what you like, what political opinions you have, what you feel, what problems you have. But that is more the ethical side of it. The technical site as above, is also interesting, how can google know what other websites I do visit?

Edited by patbox, 12 March 2009 - 10:20 PM.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,111 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:27 PM

how can google know what other websites I do visit?

Quite easily. You do a search for 'paisley manatees', as an example, through Google. Google returns X number of results. You click a result link......... patbox's visited site logged. Also that is a check-mark for that sites Google ranking.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:02 AM

Quite easily. You do a search for 'paisley manatees', as an example, through Google. Google returns X number of results. You click a result link......... patbox's visited site logged. Also that is a check-mark for that sites Google ranking.

And will it just say in my cookies that I visited that page, or will they log it into their database? If they log in their database what people have visited and keep the records for 30 years, this really gets me worried.

#10 taly

taly

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:08 PM

So if a pervert brother-in-law visits some kinky website---that is recorded on my "profile"? Just who can access that profile? I have to pass FBI clearance every two years.

#11 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

So if a pervert brother-in-law visits some kinky website---that is recorded on my "profile"? Just who can access that profile? I have to pass FBI clearance every two years.

I think the important thing is if Google will store your IP and your "brother-in-law" web sites in their database forever, or not.

#12 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:20 PM

I have just discovered that a relative who rarely has access to this computer evidently joined a google group, using a name that I have used on only 2 sites, and never as part of my e-mail address. This explains some of the spams I have been getting, as to friends, crushes and hates--this relative's friend in real life has a picture posted on "my" page as a friend on this group.

I found this stored on my desk top. I was googling myself for spam e-mail references. This was on a browser I very rarely used.

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

Don't let any body use your computer, then only you can pick and choose what web sites are being used by your browser. Do you use a firewall.

#14 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

While my tower was being rebuilt, this sister's IT used my earthlink e-mail account for four months and did other questionable things. I discovered also that my user name was being used at Flixter by 2 two teenage girls. I cannot recall if I ever joined flixter, but I have not been active in any social sites other than forums and stumble upon. And I have had continuing problems accessing my g-mail account. I don't know how to configure it properly.

There were also entries for Devshed in the google desktop search and 2 for photobucket. The flixter account is still active. There was a help.com account posted by a teenage girl discussing tonsillitis and french kissing her boyfriend. Apparently all the users at the time experienced nasty pop-ups and discontinued their accounts. According to Flixter, and I did contact their staff, the Flixter account is still active.

I did not have this tower in my home while it was being rebuilt; I was told it was a new tower. My father, who was becoming increasingly senile at the time, was still living here, and my sister would come here, ostensibly to visit him, but I think to use my pc. (She was here when we set up my original EL account, with the name, and dad selected the original password.)

I have been considering leaving the internet entirely, except for research visits to the library. With help from my Isp, we have worked on my setup after I did a system restore. If I had not been both incompetent and curious, poking around and trying out various things, I would never have discovered this violation of my internet privacy and possibly my internet reputation.

They used the name Fuzzywuzzy6. Sound familiar? And I have posted a "safe version" of the Flixter account on my clipboard, I am afraid twice, along with some notes on the help.com business.

Am I angry? Yes. Am I confused? Yes. I am concerned that the It was using his family and my pc to perhaps intentionally spread malware, and that I have been an unknowing dupe. I am profoundly ashamed.

Edited by fuzzywuzzy6, 22 March 2009 - 03:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users