Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing AOL internet Broadband with laptop!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rugbyboyle

rugbyboyle

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:43 AM

Hi!

I have just got aol gold broadband package, and i want to share it wirelessly with my acer travelmate 360 laptop!

I have a netgear MR814v2 wireless router which is plugged into my pc and i have a wireless adaptor card for my laptop. The broadband modem is a BT Voyager 105 USB ADSL modem!

How can i set all of htis up so i can share the broadband with my laptop?

many thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 09 June 2005 - 12:31 PM

The basic setup should work like this:

1st
DSL modem > router > non-wireless PC

Before playing around with the wireless laptop make sure your wired-in PC is getting to the internet through this configuration. If it (the PC) worked before when directly connected to the DSL modem (no router) but not when behind the router what you may need to do is simply power off the DSL modem and back up again so it recognizes that it will be talking with the router next and not directly to the PC. (In some cases you actually need to have a technician representitive from your internet provider 'reset' their modem which they can do remotely.)

Assuming that much is working, try getting the wireless laptop to see the router and connect and get out to the internet. Once you can do that you may wish to employ some security on the router and it is best to configure it (even wireless settings) from the PC which is wired in... consult your router's user manual for further details. (And if it needs to be said, if you can't get the wireless working you'll need to check the configuration settings using the wired-in PC.)

Were you having any specific problems yet or just looking for advice in setting it up in the first place?

EDIT: sorry, just realized you're the one I was working with about an Acer laptop and wireless issue... did that get sorted out and this is new or are you rephrasing the same issue you've been having with it? Cheers

Edited by pchartwell, 09 June 2005 - 12:33 PM.

#3 rugbyboyle

rugbyboyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 02:50 PM

Hi! I cannot plug my modem into my router, as it is a usb one and there is no usb port on the router.......

Yeah this is a completely new problem! i am using a wireless pcmicia card now!

I cannot even connect t my pc form my laptop to share files, but i can do this from my pc and get files form my laptop!

any ideas on this?

Thanks for being so helpful with all of this!

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 03:02 PM

I haven't seen a broadband modem that only had USB before; are you sure it doesn't have an ethernet port you could plug in some good old Cat5 cabling?

So this modem worked fine when plugged directly into the PC (via USB), right?

I'm puzzled about this line...

I cannot even connect t my pc form my laptop to share files, but i can do this from my pc and get files form my laptop!

You're saying you can get to files that are on your laptop from your PC but not the other way around? Is this using the wireless router in some way and if so how is the router attached?

Keep em coming, I'll try my best to see you through this. :thumbsup:

#5 rugbyboyle

rugbyboyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 03:21 PM

Success! I have sorted out the file ahring!

I had to disable the firewall on my pc! easy peasy!

The modem in a bt voyager 105 USB ADSL modem, and it has no ethernet plug at all. This confused me at first, because in the manual for my router, it was just talking about the ethernet cables....

Not sure wether i shoudl bridge the connections? would this help, so i am sendin out the inernet connection with the router?

Thanks

#6 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 03:47 PM

Ah, the firewalling. Good job!

OK, now give it to me straight; what is working now and in what order...

is it
DSL modem > (via USB) > PC > (via ethernet) > wireless router > (wireless) > laptop

Can the PC get on the internet no problem?

If so it should be possible to use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the PC to give the laptop a way (but only when the PC is 'on') out to the internet. Only for XP pro I believe, not home; could be wrong on that.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:25 PM

ICS works with XP Home, if that was the question.

The problem I see here is rugbyboyle has a wireless router with an Ethernet WAN port designed to talk to a broadband modem which supports PPPoE i.e. also has an ethernet port. But his broadband modem is a USB device. So the router is just acting as a dumb hub, no routing, no firewalling and he has to use ICS to share the internet. I guess it would work but it's all rather clunky.

Change the DSL modem?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 rugbyboyle

rugbyboyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 04:32 PM

hey there!

Just thought i would let you know that i have foun the problem!

I need to get a router which has an asdl modem built into it! I have ordered it today and this should sort it all out!

Many thanks for all of your help guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users