Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reformating hard drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 johnc.b

johnc.b

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

ok i have a problem when i go to reformat a computer i am working on.

i type in:
format c: /u (for un conditional)

it askes me if i am sure? i say yes

and then it says somethings about a volume being used in another process and if i want to dismount it

i say yes

it says can not lock drive volume is still in use.

i need help!!!

Edited by johnc.b, 11 March 2009 - 09:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:02 PM

You can't format a drive that has the operating system you are using on it, to format that drive (remember all data will be lost) you will have to put it in another computer or use a boot cd with format utilites on it (windows cd works)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:10 AM

You shouldn't have to install it in another computer, just make sure that the BIOS boot order is configured so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the order, place the bootable CD in the drive and reboot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users