Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't start (advanced issues in this post)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 laguanhaze

laguanhaze

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

I could bore you to tears with every detail so I'll try to be as concise as possible:

ABIT AS8 MOBO (then INTEL MOBO)
4 GB DDR RAM
ANTEC Sonata Case, w/ 380 watt PSU (Then 2 other PSU's)
P4 CPU, 775 Socket (2 Different ones)
Regular stuff every where else: soundcard, video, LAN/NIC card, etcetera

Nothing too exotic here. One day it began it's slow demise. Turning off, then on. Partial boots. Then down to nothing, which is the fans (CPU, PSU and case) spin for about 3 or 4 seconds then right off. Here's where the fun begins...

1. Replaced power supply 3X: Same thing.
2. Did the pull each card, each stick of ram, each HDD, all peripherals and attempted to start after each pull: NO GO.
3. Bought another CPU fan: No go.
4. Bypassed power switch: No go.
5. Got another MOBO: Same thing as before using all aforementioned stuff.
6. Got another CPU: Same things, all things.
7. Was told to try MOBO outside of case--Nothing there too.
8. ????

In fact I've tried mixing and matching stuff. Different cords. Different wall outlets. I mean I've got two PSU's, 2 MOBOS, 2 CPUS. And I keep getting the same 3 to 4 seconds of fan spin and off.

Here's what I'll try next:

1. Jumpers on the CMOS.
2. Another case?

Could I possibly be frying stuff and not knowing it? I'm using a leftover DELL plugged into the same outlets and it isn't having any of these issues right now. Grounding issue with the case? Bad power or reset switch in that Antec case? Will I need some peripherals plugged in to get somewhere? Like the HDD's or video card? Does both the power and reset switch need to be hooked up for things to work?

I'm just out of ideas and don't know where I could have gone wrong. Sooooo, any help is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Frustrated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:15 PM

You said you tried another CPU & another motherboard.
What you didn't say is where you got them & whether or not you know for a FACT that the Intel motherboard is good.

The original problem sounds like either the motherboard or power supply, or both, failed.

If you hooked the Intel motherboard to the original power supply first there is a good possibility that the power supply is faulty & fried not only the original motherboard but also the Intel board.

In order to trouble shoot a problem using spare parts you have to know for SURE the spare parts work.
If you are trying to find a problem using parts of unknown condition you could just be rearranging bad parts.

With that said I have one other suggestion for the Intel motherboard.
This is NOT ment as a slam to your ability!
[I build computers about every day & have done this :>( ]

Remove the CPU
Inspect the pins in the CPU socket for bent or damaged pins.

I loved the idea of a "piless" CPU until I took a look at my first socket 775 motherboard.
With the pins in the socket if the CPU isn't dropped in exactly right & you move it in the socket there is a chance of a CPU contact cathing on a pin [or a few] & bending them.
As of yet I have had no luck with fixing the pins in a socket 775 socket.

At least when the pins were on the CPU I could usually straighten them .
[I've had a couple of Socket 478 CPU's brought to me in pretty sad shape]
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 laguanhaze

laguanhaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:31 PM

Thanks for that insight...I will admit to buying used since I'm a student on a budget.

I'll recheck the pins on the Intel MOBO. I'll also set aside the original PSU and leave it alone until I get it tested...

With all of this in mind: What are the chances the CPU's are fried? They're not top of the line but both are P4's HT tech running at 3.2 and 3.6 Ghz, respectively. Hate to toss em..

#4 laguanhaze

laguanhaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:09 AM

To anyone who cares: fairjoeblue told me to check out the pins on the MOBO where the CPU sits. I took a magnifying glass looked in there under bright light--lo and behold two of them were out of place with the rest of bunch. I meticulously bent them out to match the others (kind of like trees you would see in an orchard). I dropped the CPU back in and it's running continuously now...

I'm gonna rest on it and finish up tomorrow to see how it all turns out. Just a word of caution to anyone getting stuck like I did. If you buy used crap you'll probably end up getting the short end of the stick...

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:36 AM

Glad you found the problem & managed to fix it !

The bent pins in the CPU socket isn't just a used part problem.

I have received 2 brand new Socket 775 motherboards that had the CPU pins mangled when I took them out of the box !
[I always inspect them before I put a CPU in the socket]
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users