Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank screen at startup after installing hard drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BlackTalon

BlackTalon

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

I had my custom system working perfect for about 6 months now, I added 1 250 gb hard drive and now all I have is a blank screen when I turn my computer on. 2nd issue, someone had mentioned to try resetting the bios, so I did, I forgot about my OCZ memory not working until the voltage had been changed when I first put it together. Now my computer lights up and spins the fans for about 5 seconds, shuts off, and keeps cycling from on to off.

Any suggestions would be great!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:25 PM

If the computer doesn't work until the voltage had been changed in the BIOS how did you get it to start to change the voltage the first time ???

The obvious answer to that one is put a stick of memory in it that will make the computer work long enough to change the voltage for your OCZ to work.

On the blank screen issue,
If you have a video card make sure it is seated properly, remove the new HD & see if the computer comes on.

If it does put the new HD back in & try it.

BTW, What kind of HD is the one that was in it [IDE or SATA] ?
What kind is the new HD ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 BlackTalon

BlackTalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:12 PM

sata 250 installed, and was adding an additional sata 250.
Even without the additional hd it still does not show anything on the screen, I have pulled and re-inserted the video card, I have also tried hooking a diffent monitor to the onboard vga. still nothing on the screen.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:55 PM

Motherboard manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 BlackTalon

BlackTalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2
Also if it makes a difference:
Vista home basic X64
Processor E6750
Videocard GeForce 9600 GSO
OCZ 2p800r22gk *2

#6 BlackTalon

BlackTalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

Also to earlier asked question about changing voltage, I had to stick a different piece of memory in until I had changed voltage in bios, Is there any other way?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

Well...my question would be...are you using the correct BIOS? It doesn't sound like it if you have to adjust your RAM voltage to make it work...just my opinion.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=2605

This appears (to me) to be the one you should have downloaded/flashed: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...mp;FileID=12904

You have no RAID capability so...it would seem that the only BIOS setting that might make the connection of a second SATA drive a problem...would be something relating to SATA IDE emulation (if you are using the correct BIOS).

Louis

#8 BlackTalon

BlackTalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

Ok, but How can I even get to the bios with my current issue to find out?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

You can try resetting the BIOS to default boot settings...either by manipulating the CMOS jumper on the motherboard or by removing (temporarily) the CMOS battery.

http://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/...per-/34567.html

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

If it were me, I simply change the CMOS battery at this time, rather than merely remove it temporarily. It's less than a $5 dollar investment and it won't hurt to know that you have a new one in the system. One less suspect.

In order to do just about anything...we need to at least be able to get into the BIOS.

FWIW: No POST - No Video - http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BP...007050376.shtml

Maybe I missed it...but have you tried a different power supply (at least, temporarily)? It's always my first suspect in situations like this.

In short...there are many things which could have caused this.

Louis

And...you might check the status of cleanliness for your system...overheating can create situations comparable to this.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Edited by hamluis, 12 March 2009 - 07:46 PM.

#10 jonpoll1980

jonpoll1980

• Banned
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:33 AM

1) if your computer get off. after the 5 second.
This happen due to voltage problem.
power supply is work of SMPS.
So change your system's SMPS and check again.

2)if your SMPS is working fine.
then check. is there any any kind of beep is coming.
if its coming, insert ram again. and then check.

3) if still getting problem
insert VGA card again.

#11 BlackTalon

BlackTalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:32 PM

Ok, I will order a new PSU from mwave today. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users