Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thick blue lines down laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 manbearpig123987

manbearpig123987

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

I have a PP04S dell laptop and it has these random thick blue vertical lines running across the screen and now I can't c anything underneath them

Does anyone have a possible fix for this. Also is this a hardware defect or software virus or something. If it's a hardware defect would this be my fault or just a result of the laptop being old

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,694 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

Are they always in the same position? If they are, change the screen resolution and see if they move. If they're in the same position regardless of the resolution, they are occurring in the LCD screen. This is usually a problem in either the LVDS (Low Voltage Digital Signalling) loom going to the LCD, or the column drive looms inside the LCD panel.

If the effect changes position when you change resolutions, there may be a problem with the video chip, memory or video driver corrupted.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 manbearpig123987

manbearpig123987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

Are they always in the same position? If they are, change the screen resolution and see if they move. If they're in the same position regardless of the resolution, they are occurring in the LCD screen. This is usually a problem in either the LVDS (Low Voltage Digital Signalling) loom going to the LCD, or the column drive looms inside the LCD panel.

If the effect changes position when you change resolutions, there may be a problem with the video chip, memory or video driver corrupted.

How cAn I change the resolution? Well I know right click then chnage the resolution but I can't c anything from about 5/6 of the right side to the left side. I can't see the middle and there is a little visible part on the left. I can't c wut I'm changing so I can't really change the resolution to find out

#4 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:33 AM

Gooday MBP. I don't know if yours is the same as something I saw the other day. But in my instance it was caused by faulty memory stick conection. If you are up for it, remove your ram stick/s and using a clean eraser just wipe along the golden bars that plug into the mother board. Be careful not to touch them and as always do not force anything. Beast of luck!. James.
When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,694 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:34 AM

If it's that bad, then it's pretty certain to be a faulty LCD panel. Does the laptop have a socket to connect an external monitor?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 manbearpig123987

manbearpig123987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:29 AM

If it's that bad, then it's pretty certain to be a faulty LCD panel. Does the laptop have a socket to connect an external monitor?

Yah it does should iconnect it to another moniter

#7 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

It seems I have a similar problem. I couldn't boot into normal mode but then I could get into safe mode with networking. From there I installed brand new drivers for the video chip and rebooted. It cleared up a lot of the issues and I was able to log in again under normal circumstances. I changed the resolution and the color bits and again, even better. When mine boots, I can see blue lines in a vertical fashion during the windows xp boot screen. They are still there when I log in but my resolution drowns them out. Mine sounds like hardware.

One thing I forgot to try, connect it to another monitor but do a cold boot (power right off and on, not restart). Watch the boot sequence. Usually the BIOS defaults the video to anything external until you get to a windows login screen.

Let us know how it works.

---

Thanks,
Shandley

Edited by Shandley, 12 March 2009 - 12:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users