Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Troubled XP SP3 machine

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 twit2

twit2

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

Having multiple problems w/ this Dell XP SP3 machine. Unable to determine if it's caused by virus, corrupted XP system files, wrong set of "Services" tuned to the wrong parameters or what. I'll try listing in the order of most aggravation. Possible viral causing event about 1 week ago when ran a "license" .exe (that AVG8.5 declared to be safe) triggered the current upheaval.

Problems:

1. Win Media Player error message of "...cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device......" every time I try to play ANY very valid .mp3 file -- I know they're OK because copies of those files play on another machine on our LAN. Run ControlPanel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Audio and it reports no default device. Run My Computer/Manage/System Tools/Device Manager/Sound, video and game controllers/SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio/Properties/General reports device is working properly and My Computer/Manage/System Tools/Device Manager/Sound, video and game controllers/SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio/Properties/Properties says Use this device and that its driver software is enabled and working properly.

What else can I change to get this machine to recognize the SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio and turn it on?

2. Why have I got GoogleUpdate and GoogleUpdater "services" listed in the My Computer/Manage/Services list after I have removed them using the XP supplied Add/Remove Programs program? How do I get them out of the list if they are possibly causing some of the bad behavior of this machine? One other program did have an item in that list and it was AVG8.5. The AVG item did finally disappear from the list after I uninstalled AVG8.5 (twice).

3. Can you point me at any instructions to verify that my XP Home Edition SP3 system files are good or need replacing? And how to do it safely in case there are some that are corrupted? It's gonna irk the dickens out of me that we "played by the rules" on this machine and it has to have it's system files "uncorrupted". I mean it came w/ XP SP1a and we authorized Automatic Updates and now it's up to SP3 and I don't have a CD to bring back to life safely without losing all the data files on it.

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users