Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop turns on but does nothing...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SilverSol

SilverSol

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:15 PM

I noticed my computer froze completely so I turned it off and then turned it back on. Since that happened, all it will do is turn on (lights on the tower come on, fans, etc.). But it doesn't show anything on the monitor. In fact, the monitor says "No signal". I know the monitor works because I tried it on another computer and it worked without a problem. I did notice that it smells hot around the CPU and CPU fan. So, basically when I hit the power button, the lights and fans come on and that's pretty much it. Any ideas or suggestions? I've got a ton of pics from my son's birth on there that I'd like to recover. Thanks!
Knowledge does not cure opinion.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:34 PM

Unplug the computer and let sit for a few minutes. Plug it back in again, and see if your issue is resolved.
If that doesn't work, we will have to dig a little deeper to see where the problem is coming from.
What type of computer is this? What is the make/model?
JC

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:59 AM

I would check the capacitors around the CPU for leaks/burst capacitors as well, doesnt take long just flash the light over them and make sure they all look like normal capacitors (round on the sides, flat on top, no corrosioan). coudnt hurt, takes 5 seconds.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 SilverSol

SilverSol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

The computer is a Compaq Presario desktop. I unplugged it and let it sit for about 20 min and that didn't change anything. In fact, I did that process a couple different times just to make sure. I'm totally lost. It's like it turns on but I don't hear it booting. Obviously, I can't tell what it's doing because it won't show anything on the monitor.

Edited by SilverSol, 12 March 2009 - 12:22 PM.

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

What's the exact model(Compaq Presario ....)? Each computer/laptop model has it's own troubleshooting help that may point you to the exact source of the issue. Some have lights on different components.(on the outside of the power supply). Others may have a light sequence on the front, or back that help isolate the issue. It could be a loose connection, or something as serious as a defective motherboard. I would guess that your hard disk is likely good, or you would be displaying another symptom. --That's good because there are ways of extracting the data. One way would be to use a device similar to this - http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...&CatId=3770
JC

#6 SilverSol

SilverSol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

What's the exact model(Compaq Presario ....)? Each computer/laptop model has it's own troubleshooting help that may point you to the exact source of the issue. Some have lights on different components.(on the outside of the power supply). Others may have a light sequence on the front, or back that help isolate the issue. It could be a loose connection, or something as serious as a defective motherboard. I would guess that your hard disk is likely good, or you would be displaying another symptom. --That's good because there are ways of extracting the data. One way would be to use a device similar to this - http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...&CatId=3770

The exact model is: Compaq Presario SR1303WM

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

My apologies, I missed your reply. Is this issue resolved.
Here's a guide to go through for your computer. Monitor is Blank after Starting

Edited by Joshuacat, 25 March 2009 - 09:31 PM.

JC

#8 SilverSol

SilverSol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:11 PM

No. The issue is not resolved but I'm gonna go through that link you posted above and see if I can get some info (hopefully helpful) from it. THANKS!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

Long time for no resolution...

Have you checked the functionality of key components (power supply, RAM, hard drive) by temporarily trying them in a different system?

FWIW: "No signal" indicates that the monitor is fine, it's the lack of a video signal that's the problem when that message appears.

Louis

No signal on monitor - Overclocking.net - http://www.overclock.net/faqs/27757-info-n...-help-also.html

No POST - No Video - http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BP...007050376.shtml

No Beep No Video - The PC Guide Discussion Forums - http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39685

#10 SilverSol

SilverSol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:50 AM

Thanks for the input. I will definitely read through those links.

#11 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:35 AM

Do you register any BIOS beeps? You could try removing each component from your motherboard one by one until you get the beep. If you're left with the CPU and still not getting any beeps, it's almost definitely the power supply. My computer did the same thing a couple weeks ago and it took throwing in a lower power PSU with only the CPU plugged in before it told me I had a memory problem (I removed all memory).

All the lights and fans worked, but that's all. No video, no audio, nothing. Just a dead PSU. Sadly I hoped it was my board as that was cheaper to replace.

#12 SilverSol

SilverSol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:53 PM

I'm not completely sure what you mean by registering BIOS beeps. The computer doesn't beep at all when you power it on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users