Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Account column info when importing messages from Outlook Express into Windows Mail

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 justinny1980

justinny1980

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

Hello helpful people,

I'm trying to migrate my Outlook Express email messages from my old XP laptop which suffered a motherboard death last week. I've got the hard drive connected via external enclosure to my Vista Ultimate 64-bit desktop. I didn't have any trouble getting Windows Mail to locate the .dbx files and import the appropriate folders, but when I add the "Account" column to the message view, there is no data in there. I've got 8 accounts funneling email into this program, so it's rather critical that I have the information readily available in the window.

I read somewhere that anti-virus software might be removing the data, so I tried the import with my anti-virus and Windows Defender both disabled and still no luck. Thinking it made a difference once before when upgrading my hard drive, I tried doing the import with all the account information set up under "Tools" --> "Accounts..." and then again without any set up at all. Same result both ways.

Anyone have any ideas how to get the import to include the Account column information? Much appreciated. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 justinny1980

justinny1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:06 AM

Well, looks like no one has a solution for me. Does anyone else have this problem? Am I all alone here? :o)

Edited by justinny1980, 20 March 2009 - 01:22 PM.

#3 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:29 AM

Do you have those accounts set up on the vista computer? I never use outlook express, but it could be that... Otherwise, I would double check and make sure that the emails you are transferring over have those accounts documented... Other then that I got nothing else for ya, sorry...

#4 justinny1980

justinny1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:05 PM

Yeah, I tried it with the accounts set up and without them set up. Same result. Last night I thought to try importing them into Thunderbird, and it happened the same way. So I'm wondering if it has more to do with the export function rather than the import function...so the question now is: how do I export existing messages from Outlook Express when I can't boot from the hard drive?

My next attempt will be to load an XP drive on this computer and try setting up a new account and just replacing all the .dbx email files in the proper identities folder when the OE is off. When it opens, it should recognize the emails. Then maybe I can export them and import them into Mail...

We'll see how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users