Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Kaspersky enough? Any thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 notrojansplz

notrojansplz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:47 PM

I just purchased a second computer (that the kids won't be using) and was sold Kaspersky Internet Security 2009. My state of mind when I went into the store made me ripe for an easy sale. My question is: should I have more, and if so what is compatible? The packaging makes it sound like the be all and end all, but who can believe packaging? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

Hi ,notrojansplz.

Don't take off the packaging , take a look here. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html :thumbsup:

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

I wouldn't put any more stuff in. Kaspersky is quite comprehensive, a bit rough to set up, and dislikes other security programs more than others. If you managed to install it with no objections over any conflicts, you're good to go.
You might have luck including ocassional SuperAntiSpyware scan, but I wouldn't bother. You're covered. The less, the better and you've got plenty protection in Kaspersky. Just read their manual and help screens, and read again and again before adding conflicting things and to learn how to setup properly.

Disclaimer - I don't have it. I used their antivirus for a while and it was superb. I think the suite you have includes a firewall, so you're really all set. Don't look back.

#4 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

I wouldn't put any more stuff in.

I think you misunderstood, me tos226, why use a expensive program, when freeware is just as good! donations can be made of course. :thumbsup:

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:20 PM

The delay of reading and writing got us :thumbsup:
One of those instances of replying to NOT the last post. When I started replying your post wasn't here :flowers: So my answer was to the first post naturally.
That said, I'm all for freeware and separate packages rather than a suite. But the user specifically asked about K-suite so I put in my few cents. A lot of people like suites.

Edited by tos226, 11 March 2009 - 10:21 PM.

#6 PoliSciBri

PoliSciBri

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:50 AM

I use Kaspersky Internet Security along with Outpost Pro Firewall. The two seem to get along like Jenny and Forest. I also have Malwarebytes for scanning purposes only. I don't run it in the background or anything.

The way I see it, it never hurts to have an additional firewall to Kaspersky, as long as the two get along (like Kaspersky and Outpost).
I'll think of something.

#7 notrojansplz

notrojansplz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for the input. I had already installed the Kaspersky on the computer that I purchased it with before posting the question. Yeah, installation was not simple, but not too complex either. I like the idea of a second firewall. I'm gonna try that.
Fortunately a relative liked the Kasp. product and I was able to get a contribution towards the $79 purchase price. Apparently these things are packaged for multiple computers now with so many people having more than one. I guess that justifies the increased price.

#8 notrojansplz

notrojansplz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

The Weatherman,

Tonight I followed your link to the site listing and downloaded Outpost firewall from the MajorGeek site. Upon reboot I was confronted with a system error screen. I tried reboot one more time, same result. I removed the program in safe mode and rebooted with no problems. Any thoughts? This computer is running Tiny XP, AVG, Spybot, Superantispyware, Malwarebytes... Any thoughts?

#9 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

Hi, notrojansplz.

I'm afraid I don't no what the problem may be, please read through this tutorial on firewalls, if you need to please feel free to post back here. :thumbsup:

#10 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:50 PM

notrojansplz, More is not better ... read on.

The Weatherman,

Tonight I followed your link to the site listing and downloaded Outpost firewall from the MajorGeek site. Upon reboot I was confronted with a system error screen. I tried reboot one more time, same result. I removed the program in safe mode and rebooted with no problems. Any thoughts? This computer is running Tiny XP, AVG, Spybot, Superantispyware, Malwarebytes... Any thoughts?

I have thoughts.
Get rid of all of the stuff.
The cardinal rule is ONE FIREWALL. ONE ANTIVIRUS. ONE SPYWARE running (more ok to scan).

According to the description which I just confirmed, KISS contains
http://usa.kaspersky.com/support/home-supp...ected_topic_id=

Kaspersky Internet Security 2009:
Anti-Malware
Files and Memory
Email and IM
Web Traffic
System security
Application Filtering
Firewall
Proactive Defense
Online Security
Anti-Phishing
Intrusion Prevention System
Anti-Dialer
Content Filtering
Anti-Spam
Banner Ad Blocker
Parental Control

Outpost never worked with Kaspersky AV. What makes you think you can work it with KISS?
Once you have decided to go the suite way, leave it alone. No point mucking up the system.
Uninstall those other applications. And, in case of Outpost and AVG - look in their respective support sites for a complete, clean uninstallation. It is not sufficient with applications as complex as firewalls and AV to just uninstall them. You need to remove all traces.

If I were you, considering it's a new system, I'd start over with a nice clean computer instead of trying to fix things. Totally reinstall the system you bought, install KISS you have and be fast and happy forever.

Please read at least Post#3 in this thread
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...l=two+firewalls

Edited by tos226, 13 March 2009 - 11:06 PM.

#11 notrojansplz

notrojansplz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:24 AM

I'm afraid I wasn't very clear before. I am working with two computers.
First, my family desktop became infected. I got paranoid about being secure when paying the bills and accessing the bank site, so I bought a laptop. The salesman, sensing my paranoia, suggested KIS. It is installed on the laptop only.
Second, I started trying to disinfect the desktop. I posted on a forum and got some advice. That is where the SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes came from. I wanted to test the outpost pro firewall on the desktop to see what it was like before attempting to put it on the laptop with KIS.
Sorry for the confusion.
As far as Outpost and KIS working together. PoliSciBri has them working together like "Jenny and Forest". Sounded like a good review to me. My experience with this stuff is so minimal. I am bound to make many mistakes. Thank goodness for hobbyists like you guys to help me when I fall down.

#12 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:10 PM

PoliSciBri has them working together like "Jenny and Forest" - yup. i saw the note as well, but i was commenting on KAV, and thought it would apply. It was like that for me, dead in the water. And if you read Outpost and Wilders forums there've been reports of conflicts.

I'm glad you answered and clarified that you don't actually have double and tripple protection on that new laptop!
Thank you :thumbsup:

Piece of another advice: do read KISS instructions so you can make the most of it. It's a solid piece of protection. And no, I don't have it, but having used their KAV, I know the documentation is good, albeit rough to get through.

#13 PoliSciBri

PoliSciBri

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:54 AM

PoliSciBri has them working together like "Jenny and Forest" - yup. i saw the note as well, but i was commenting on KAV, and thought it would apply. It was like that for me, dead in the water. And if you read Outpost and Wilders forums there've been reports of conflicts.

I'm glad you answered and clarified that you don't actually have double and tripple protection on that new laptop!
Thank you :thumbsup:

Piece of another advice: do read KISS instructions so you can make the most of it. It's a solid piece of protection. And no, I don't have it, but having used their KAV, I know the documentation is good, albeit rough to get through.

Yup, they seem to work really well together. Outpost automatically shuts off some of its features that it knows Kaspersky is handling already. I haven't had any problems at all. I know some people say it's not good to have two, but those two programs work well together (in my experience, anyway) so I'm gonna stick with it.
I'll think of something.

#14 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,549 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:45 AM

Yup, they seem to work really well together. Outpost automatically shuts off some of its features that it knows Kaspersky is handling already. I haven't had any problems at all. I know some people say it's not good to have two, but those two programs work well together (in my experience, anyway) so I'm gonna stick with it.

If you have those two programs working together then I am happy for you--but you are the very rare exception. Either you are very lucky or very good at configuring your system--or maybe it has something to do with Vista. It would almost be rare enough to contact the Vatican.

My experience is that Kaspersky does not get along with other firewalls. I ran the standalone antivirus for years and wound up uninstalling all third party firewalls and just using Windows firewall. If one looks around the internet and in forums there are many who have had the same problem. So when giving advice to someone, it is generally better to find a commonality of occurances to establish a foundation for your opinion that will be related in the form of advice, not just episodic experiences.

Maybe the programs have changed since my experience. There isn't as much on Kaspersky related sites and Outpost about how they clash with each other as there used to be. Or maybe you can share with us your setup and any configuration you did. What versions of the programs are you using? Is it Outpost Pro or the free version of Outpost? In any event, the sites still have articles on how to get the two to get along better with each other, one of which involves a registry hack.

http://www.kaspersky.com/support/kis6mp1/error?qid=193239309
http://www.agnitum.com/support/kb/article....&lang=en#15

You may, in fact be experiencing problems because of your setup and just haven't noticed because it doesn't seem directly related to your firewall. It's possible your question about RAM usage is because of running two firewalls. I would suggest uninstalling Outpost and then see if it makes a difference--also do a clean reinstall of Kaspersky.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/210499/physical-ram-usage-always-between-60-and-80/

The conventional wisdom is that you should never have two firewalls installed. It's also based on solid reasoning. Ask yourself, what benefit is there to having two? If one by itself blocks and stealths ports, why have another to do the same thing? And why have another heavy on resources program running all the time when it's not absolutely necessary? Security is a matter of risk reduction. A second firewall does not reduce your risk--if anything it will increase it.

So to get back to the original question; the Kaspersky Suite is a fine AV/firewall combination and my advice is to enjoy it and get you money's worth out of it. It used to be that the AV's detection rate stood head and shoulders above most others. Other vendors have caught up and gotten slightly ahead now, but KAV was the first to include what it calls "extended threats"--which is "spyware/adware/malware" that other antivirus companies wouldn't touch because it wasn't technically a virus. It is still advisable to supplement KAV with SuperAntiSpyware and MBAM as not even the best detection rate is a guarantee that ALL threats will be caught. But KAV isn't going to miss much.

When you get toward the end of your Kaspersky subscription, then you can look at the free AV's and firewalls.

I'm sorry to hear you paid so much money tho. Kaspersky's prices have gone up since I first purchased it. The thing about KAV tho is that the initial cost is high, but at the online reseller that I dealt with renewal was comparatively low and usually discounted.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#15 notrojansplz

notrojansplz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:06 AM

Thank you all for the good advice. It is appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users