Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Desktop Search: How to search for filenames only?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fra John Mary

fra John Mary

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:12 PM

Here is my problem with Windows Desktop Search: I have searched their help the Windows Help and Support pages, but I have not found how to search in filenames only? Every time I do a search it finds ALL FILES CONTAINING THE SEARCH CRITERIA, either in the name or contents! I only want to see those files listed that have the words I am searching for in the filename itself and NOT thos files with it in its contents.

Someone please explain what I am overlooking to this simple request.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I'm a new forum member and I don't have displayed yet in my signature what machine or OS I'm using. So here it is:
Dell Dimension DXP051, Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz 2.99 GHz, 2.00 GB Ram; Windows XP Home Ver. 2002, SP3
Dell Dimension DXP051, Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz 2.99 GHz, 4.00 GB Ram; Windows XP Home Ver. 2002, SP3
[I use this computer for publishing books and covers (InDesign & Photoshop CS3) for the Academy of the Immaculate books]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NUMBER

NUMBER

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

Hi, I don't know if I read your post right but have you tried typing your request in the 'all or part of the file name' box as that in theory should only display file names containing the criteria you selected? If that doesn't work you could adjust the search settings to look only in a specific place, date when file was created/modified. Apart from that there are free programs that function as Windows Vista instant search feature. I would suggest looking at CNET.com under downloads section as I don't know the name of the program off the top of my head. Hope that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users