Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows xp not booting up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 manbearpig123987

manbearpig123987

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:06 PM

Hi my windows xp machine was working fine until about a day ago. Then all of a sudden I turned it on and now it's stuck in an infinite boot cycle and won't turn on or get me to the login page.

I've read around and so far I've seen I need a windows xp cd and do some repair stuff but I don't have the cd. All I have is a windows vista cd lying around somewhere.

Oh and also I'm running windows xp sp3 and i had my friend's dad give us the computer and he set everything up. He installed windows xp pro and he put all the drivers and stuff in it so I don't have a copy of any of that stuff either.

Edited by manbearpig123987, 11 March 2009 - 06:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NUMBER

NUMBER

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

Hi, what were you doing just before your problems started (updating drivers or something). You could at a push upgrade your PC to Vista and this might at least allow you access/backup your personal files and if you need to reformat at least you have the disk to hand.

#3 manbearpig123987

manbearpig123987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

Hi, what were you doing just before your problems started (updating drivers or something). You could at a push upgrade your PC to Vista and this might at least allow you access/backup your personal files and if you need to reformat at least you have the disk to hand.

my mom was on my computer and she was using some logitech camera. She went through some wizard and after that she just left it on because she said she couldn't get it to work. I just shut down the comptuer after that because i had no reason to keep it on and went on my laptop. Now i need at least one of those computers to work becasue my laptop has these random blue lines going down it and it covers everything up underneath it.

#4 NUMBER

NUMBER

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:11 PM

Well it sounds like the wrong driver was installed for your camera. Normally drivers don't tend to take effect until a restart. When you first boot up the PC try accessing safe mode (keep F8 pressed in, but this needs to be done when the BIOS info is showing) and select safe mode. This should boot a limited windows and via this you should be able to uninstall the camera by accessing control panel, then add/remove programs, then looking for the logitech camera entry in the list. If you can't find any relevant entry you can access device manager via control panel- system- hardware- device manager and uninstall the camera from there.
Regarding the laptop sometimes what you describe could be a problem with the integrated graphics chip. If you can remember when the problem started that might help. Driver issues can be a problem here too, and depending on how old your laptop is it might have broken down.
Hope that helps.

Edited by NUMBER, 11 March 2009 - 07:19 PM.

#5 manbearpig123987

manbearpig123987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

Well it sounds like the wrong driver was installed for your camera. Normally drivers don't tend to take effect until a restart. When you first boot up the PC try accessing safe mode (keep F8 pressed in, but this needs to be done when the BIOS info is showing) and select safe mode. This should boot a limited windows and via this you should be able to uninstall the camera by accessing control panel, then add/remove programs, then looking for the logitech camera entry in the list. If you can't find any relevant entry you can access device manager via control panel- system- hardware- device manager and uninstall the camera from there. Hope that helps.

I've tried booting in safe mode but i cant get into it. No matter what i choose when that black screen pops up saying windows encountered an error and it says safe mode safe mode with networking safe mode with command prompt last known good configuration or start windows normally it just boots back up to the windows xp booting screen but it will go into another black screen saying stuff like ddim speed 400 and ide drivers channel 2 none ide drivers channel 3 none. I tried hitting f8 then doing safe mode and that didn't work. It always goes into that ide drivers black screen and just goes back into the xp boot screen.

#6 NUMBER

NUMBER

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:29 PM

To be honest unless you can get your hands on a XP disk to boot from the only thing that I can think of doing is upgrading your PC with the Vista disk. You could change the boot priority in the BIOS to DVD first, put the Vista disk in and see what options you have on the reboot. It might have a tool to repair windows on it, but if it doesn't you could upgrade and the PC might at least work again. Sorry I can't think of many things to try with this.

#7 manbearpig123987

manbearpig123987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

To be honest unless you can get your hands on a XP disk to boot from the only thing that I can think of doing is upgrading your PC with the Vista disk. You could change the boot priority in the BIOS to DVD first, put the Vista disk in and see what options you have on the reboot. It might have a tool to repair windows on it, but if it doesn't you could upgrade and the PC might at least work again. Sorry I can't think of many things to try with this.

Dang well do u know where I could get an xp disk to boot from

And so do uthink the problem was from my mom tryin to install the logitech camera drivers but messed up so my computer won't boot now

#8 NUMBER

NUMBER

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

You could see if your friend's dad still has the XP disk he used when he installed it on yours and get that one (or ask him to burn a copy for you). If he doesn't if he has the receipt microsoft might give you a replacement disk for a small fee. If any friends have a XP disk you could use theirs as you are not stealing their license key (as you only need their disk). I'm not definite on what's caused your problems but they only happened immediately after the logitech driver install.

#9 manbearpig123987

manbearpig123987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

Well it sounds like the wrong driver was installed for your camera. Normally drivers don't tend to take effect until a restart. When you first boot up the PC try accessing safe mode (keep F8 pressed in, but this needs to be done when the BIOS info is showing) and select safe mode. This should boot a limited windows and via this you should be able to uninstall the camera by accessing control panel, then add/remove programs, then looking for the logitech camera entry in the list. If you can't find any relevant entry you can access device manager via control panel- system- hardware- device manager and uninstall the camera from there.
Regarding the laptop sometimes what you describe could be a problem with the integrated graphics chip. If you can remember when the problem started that might help. Driver issues can be a problem here too, and depending on how old your laptop is it might have broken down.
Hope that helps.

The problem with the laptop started about 2 weeks ago probably. They randomly appearead and I let the laptop stay there for a few minutes without touchig it and they went away after a while. Now no matter how long I leave the laptop untouched they never go away. I think it is something to do with the graphics card. I think it's a hardware problem because the part I can see works smoothly and everything is working fine software wise so I'm just guessing the laptops hardware get messed up somehow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users