Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall my operating system

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RickGuerra

RickGuerra

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 08 June 2005 - 02:55 PM

Help! I have a compaqZ5900 and i am unable to reinstall my operating ststem 98se,even if I use my restore cd's

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:43 AM

What happens when you try to reinstall the operating system? Do you get any error messages?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 RickGuerra

RickGuerra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:39 PM

What happens when you try to reinstall the operating system? Do you get any error messages?

my system starts the installing process,it gets to the exit backup system or continue installation. at that point it gives me a help screen, indicating certian commands for different os systems. mine is 98se it wants me to type dosstart at the a:\ prompt, but i dont know where the file is?

Q: after reading different manuals i realixed that my start up disks may not contain hidden files, I will try to make a stsrt up disk with Format a: /s /v ? Is any of this making sense?

Q: I also have another older compaq deskpro which worked fine, I tryed upgrading the ram with different size simm chips 32mg vs 16mg, I know now that the simm chips must be paired and of the same memory size. I reinstalled the computer to orginal, now it boots up and it gives me{ parity Check 2 error} so how do I fix that????

Thank you for responding, I dont mean to dump alot of questions on you but I sure can use the help. :thumbsup:

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:02 PM

Read this about restoring 98 on a Compaq.

I will try to make a stsrt up disk with Format a: /s /v ? Is any of this making sense?

You don't need a boot disk with a Compaq. If you want to make one, on the 98 machine, go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Startup Disk tab>Create Disk.

For the error with the Ram, its best to start a new thread in the Hardware Forum so it doesn't get buried in here.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users