Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Slow running PC

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MahjongBill

MahjongBill

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

I have a Compaq Presario F730US notebook. It's not even been a year since I got it and it's been running Really slow for the last couple weeks. Gets slower with each passing day. I'll open a board, (I mainly use Mozilla Firefox and sometimes Internet Explorer), and it'll be like 30 or more seconds before I can actually use it because it takes so long to prepare. If I do try and use it before it's done loading, a message will appear on the top bar of the screen and read "(NOT RESPONDING)" and the screen will turn transparent white and I'll have to wait until it corrects itself.

I've spoken with Compaq's tech support about it. They gave me these steps to follow at this link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c00815926

I tried them but they made no difference that I can see.

My notebook runs Windows Vista by the way and I have Kaspersky internet Security installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gman34

gman34

• Banned
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

Have you installed any new software between that time?
Maybe you should download an antivirus, make sure you disable system restore and run your antispyware and anitvirus in safe mode.
Avg and avast are some free antiviruses

#3 jeff_windows_team

jeff_windows_team

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:07 PM

Hello MahjongBill-
My name is Jeff and I work with the Windows Outreach Team. I have two suggestions- first off try updating your browsers to the most recent versions. Secondly, take a look at some of these tips from Microsoft on keeping your Vista PC up to speed- http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...5c954e1033.mspx
Cheers,
Jeff
Windows Outreach Team

#4 MahjongBill

MahjongBill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

I installed a couple video players recently. One of them was "Real". Haven't really installed anything else

Hello MahjongBill-
My name is Jeff and I work with the Windows Outreach Team. I have two suggestions- first off try updating your browsers to the most recent versions. Secondly, take a look at some of these tips from Microsoft on keeping your Vista PC up to speed- http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...5c954e1033.mspx
Cheers,
Jeff
Windows Outreach Team

Thank you for the tips. I'll try them right away :thumbsup:

#5 jeff_windows_team

jeff_windows_team

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:11 PM

Let me know how they work out for you Bill!

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

Maybe you should download an antivirus, make sure you disable system restore

First off, MahjongBill already has an AV installed:

I have Kaspersky internet Security installed.

Adding a second would create serious problems as the two would be in serious conflict and render the computer less secure than it was before.

Second, disabling System Restore as the first step when attempting to clean a system or when scanning for malware is not advisable. Unfortunately, some anti-virus vendors still recommend doing this before attempting malware removal and many folks follow that advice. This is really not a good practice when dealing with infected computer systems. Turning System Restore off and then turning it back on has some risk associated with it since that feature does not always work as intended. Further, there is always a possibility of something going wrong during the malware removal process and you end up with more problems. If an incident renders your system problematic or unbootable, you can use System Restore to return it to a previous working state. Without a restore point to fall back on, you are left with a limited means of restoring your system to a usable condition. Disabling this feature could mean having to perform a repair install (or reformat in worst case scenarios) if you're unable to fix any problems which System Restore may be able to correct. Although System Restore is not always 100% guaranteed to work all the time, it at least gives you another option before resorting to more drastic measures.

"System Restore and malware removal - what is best practice?"
"Should I purge all my restore point BEFORE removing infection?"

@ MahjongBill

I hope jeff_windows_team's suggestions work out for you. Please let us know one way or another.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 jeff_windows_team

jeff_windows_team

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:25 AM

Have you given any of the tips a chance yet? I'm interested in hearing the results.

-Jeff
Windows Outreach Team

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

Also see Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 MahjongBill

MahjongBill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:55 PM

Title was: Start from scratch ~ OB

IMy computer is seriously jammed up. Spyware and adware, and probably a few viruses, have ground it to a halt. It won't even connect to the internet anymore. I've saved all of my important documents and other fiiles. I'm ready to just wipe it clean. I don't think it can be fixed through conventional means. Is there a method/way to restore it back to the day I got it?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 19 March 2009 - 10:53 PM.
Merged topics. ~ OB

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:57 PM

Hello MahjongBill,

For the sake of continuity I have merged your latest topic in the Am I infected forum with your previous topic.

I think in order to address your latest question that we need to know the model of your Compaq computer and whether it's a laptop or desktop.

Different companies provide different means of restoring computers one purchases from them to factory settings. Some computers have what is called a Recovery Partition. Others have something called a recovery disc. I think there are other methods as well.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:09 PM

Newegg says

Memory Size 1GB DDR2

The bloatware on this computer is immense. It took me a few hours to delete it all so that only the meat was left. I ordered 2 gigs of Ram right off the bat to accomodate Vista. I am happy with that decision as they 2 gigs ended up costing less than $40. Bought the G. Skill 2GB (2 x 1GB) by the way. Works great.

Kaspersky internet Security

All the previous tips and guides would have to be fully implemented for Vista to run one one gig of ram and support a high power suite like Kasp's

My 2 cents
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 MahjongBill

MahjongBill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:21 AM

Hello MahjongBill,

For the sake of continuity I have merged your latest topic in the Am I infected forum with your previous topic.

I think in order to address your latest question that we need to know the model of your Compaq computer and whether it's a laptop or desktop.

Different companies provide different means of restoring computers one purchases from them to factory settings. Some computers have what is called a Recovery Partition. Others have something called a recovery disc. I think there are other methods as well.

My apologies for not mentioning the specs and not posting within the same topic. Here it is:

COMPAQ Presario F730US Notebook pc. It runs Windows Vista home premium. Hope thats enough info :flowers:

#13 MahjongBill

MahjongBill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:24 AM

Newegg says

Memory Size 1GB DDR2

The bloatware on this computer is immense. It took me a few hours to delete it all so that only the meat was left. I ordered 2 gigs of Ram right off the bat to accomodate Vista. I am happy with that decision as they 2 gigs ended up costing less than $40. Bought the G. Skill 2GB (2 x 1GB) by the way. Works great.

Kaspersky internet Security

All the previous tips and guides would have to be fully implemented for Vista to run one one gig of ram and support a high power suite like Kasp's

My 2 cents

Thanks for the additional info Chew -
:thumbsup:
I'll probably take it under real advisement if I get the thing running good again - lol

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:56 AM

http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp

the full test is very usefull for problems like yours
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users