Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System is freezing, while av-scanning or gaming

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 spocksbeard

spocksbeard

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:32 AM

Hello there!

This is the problem, which I am experiencing:

My system is freezing during following actions:

1. Anti-virus-scans (previous with Kaspersky, now with AVG);

2. Sometimes during surfing the internet or even printing;

3. Frequently during playing games;

Please, let me get You up to date, with what I have done so far:

1. I treid to exclude the possibility of being infected:

Hijack(1.99)-Log: got help from aumha.org with this - nothing found

Showed hidden files and then:

Ran AVG: freezed during scan;
Ran external scan from aumha.org: no action, scan is not running;
Ran external scan from trendmicro.com: freezed during scan;
Ran ad-aware (SE 1.5): nothing found;
Ran cwshredder (2.15): nothing found;
Ran spybot (1.3): nothing found.

Got the newest versions of ad-aware and spybot.
Showed hidden files.
Tried to scan with AVG in safemode two times: freezed during scan both times

Scanned with cwshradder (2.15): nothing found;
Scanned with Ad-aware (1.6): nothing found;
Scanned with Spybot (1.4): freezed.

After that, I tried the Sysclean-DOS-scan: freezed during scan, two times.

Made an AVG-scan (after showing hidden files) in safe mode: freezed.

Did Hijackthis in safe mode: nothing wrong with it

Ran Microsoft Antispyware Beta: removed two possible hijack browser modifiers, one NCase Browser Modifier and finally two anti leech adware plugin's.

2. Tried to optimize my system

Cleaned the system (cookies, temp's, etc.), ran file checker, checkdisk, defragmented the disk.

Until now, I did not make partitions on my disk. It is sized 80 GB and I am using about 20% of it so far.

Ran EVEREST. This tool says, that the AGP function is shut down, as well as fast-write and Side Band Adressing, although they're enabled in BIOS :thumbsup:

3. My config is as follows:

System: Win XP Pro (SP 1)
Motherboard: ASUS A7V8X-X
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce MX 440 AGP8X (driver 71.89)
CPU: AMD Athlon™ XP 2000+, runs at 1,7GHz
RAM: 512 + 256 MB
Sound: SoundMax Digital Audio (on board; driver 5.12.0001.3663)
Disk: Maxtor 6Y080L0 / DiamondMax Plus 9

Heres my startup list:

Dupmrep 0 k
NeroCheck
Zapro
NvCpl
Nwiz
Avgcc
NVMCTRAY
TeaTimer
Microsoft Office

4. Formatted disk about one year ago.

After a heavy virus attack, this seemed to be the only safe method of removing it constantly. During this procedure it would stop formating at some point, mentioning an error, which I unfortunately can not remember. I tried this several times and then let a friend of mine format it with a diskette. After that I had problems with installing the system but made it at the end. The system ran ok for quite a while. I REALLY hope, that THIS method is not the only way left for me... :flowers:

Please advise, what else could be done here?? :trumpet:
MB: ASUS A7V600-X (bios version: 1009); chipset: Northbridge VIA KT600 + Southbridge VIA VT8237
CPU: AMD XP3200+ (2,2 GHz)
RAM: 1,5 GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon 1600pro (AGP, 512 MB) driver: 6.14.0010.6683
DirectX-version: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Sound: SoundMax Digital Audio; driver: 5.12.0001.3663

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computingelite

computingelite

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:20 AM

check there's enough power from your PSU to power everything.

I remember playing Half Life 2 and other games for that matter after I'd reassembled my PC. It would freeze for like 5 seconds at a time, then resume, then freeze again.

I took my PC apart and worked out it was the cables from the PSU... I was sharing the graphics molex connector branch with the C:\ drive when I should have used it for the D:\ drive as C:\ needed its own cable branch (ie. no sub branches) ... hope that makes sense.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:03 AM

I just had a look at our Startup Database (see the top of this page) for:

NvCpl
Nwiz
NVMCTRAY
NeroCheck

If you check them yourself you'll see that none are neccessary and three might be viruses. Disable these from running at startup or end process on them and try the scans again.

You can also run the Diagnostic Utility PowerMax from Maxtor to eliminate the Hard Drive as the problem.

Edited by Leurgy, 09 June 2005 - 09:04 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 spocksbeard

spocksbeard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:12 AM

Thanks Leurgy! :thumbsup:

Checked those four processes once again and then removed them from startup. Oddly, NvCpl (RUNDLL32.EXE) reappeared in the startup after rebooting. Now could this lead to the conclusion, that it's really the WIN32.RBOT Worm??
Is there any other possibility of removing it (from the registry)??

Thanks computingelite! :flowers:

Will take Your advice strongly into consideration. But first I'll try out everything else, before I go down to dismemberment. I'm not that good with hardware, I'm afraid...
MB: ASUS A7V600-X (bios version: 1009); chipset: Northbridge VIA KT600 + Southbridge VIA VT8237

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:21 AM

In your Startups, what is the entire line where NvCpl appears? You need to nail it down to the .exe file to know what it really is. The Startup Database has 14 different file names when you search for NvCpl.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 spocksbeard

spocksbeard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:55 AM

OK, the full line is:

NvCpl RUNDLL32.EXE c:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

Couldn't find NvCpl.dll in the startup database, just the one ending with .exe

(Just as I was about to post this answer I opened a second IE to browse Your startup database. Shortly after I loaded IE my system freezed, so I had to reboot)

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:40 PM

Pretty sure thats your NVidia card.

Do you have any type of temperature monitoring software like Asus Probe? Many times random freezing is caused by overheating. Have you taken the side off the case and cleaned out the dust on the fans and elsewhere with a can of compressed air?

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:48 PM

Application Description Start From Application Command
NvCplDaemon Registry\Common\Run RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

That's what Everest lists it to in my computer.

It is atributed to NVIDIA Corporation.

#9 spocksbeard

spocksbeard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:26 AM

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Leurgy, I have not tried that before. But last year, before formatting, I took the sides off and turned the PC on, so it would have more air. I had exactly the same freezes... I'll try Asus Probe, good hint. Thanks.

Also thanks for Your help, Enthusiast!

Cheers.

#10 spocksbeard

spocksbeard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:47 AM

OK, installed Asus Probe and let it monitor my CPU-temperature while gaming. After the obligatory freezing-crash, I looked through the report.

BINGO! :thumbsup:
On the start of the game the CPU-temperature was at 158 and then went up to 163F, when it all freezed up.
When I don't run a game, the temperature of my CPU is at about 129,2F. I think, that the normal or "healthy" temperature is somewhere about 100F...
Now that sounds like chronically overheated, doesn't it?

Besides that, everest says, that AGP, Side Band Addressing and Fast Write are disabled. I looked up in BIOS and they were enabled :flowers: ?!?

Big THANKS again!

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 05:38 PM

Thats on the hot side. Those CPU's have a maximum temp of 70 - 90C (158 - 194F) according to these specs. If you can get your PON number from Everest you can tell for sure what your CPU is. See page 7 in that link.

Take the side off the case and have a look at the CPU fan. You can take it off and clean it, or try to clean it as is. If you use compressed air, be sure to hold the fan from spinning with a pencil as the air can over spin the fan and damage the bearings. Fans are also inexpensive and can be easily changed. In my experience about 2 - 3 years and they start to slow down. Doesn't Everest show the fan RPM? It should be around 5000.

Besides that, everest says, that AGP, Side Band Addressing and Fast Write are disabled.

That is a bug in Everest that I've seen before.

You can also get your temps with Everest for comparison, maybe even video temp.

Edited by Leurgy, 10 June 2005 - 05:42 PM.

#12 spocksbeard

spocksbeard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 04:11 PM

Checked Your link Leurgy, thanks. :thumbsup:

Couldn't get the PNO from Everest but somehow fought my way through, with the help from tool Sandra.
Looks like my CPU-Die-Temp is at 90C and I am still far away from that. At the last crash I was at 73C.

Ran Sandra and it says, that my CPU-cooler is at 2800rpm. Isn't that kind of sluggish??? Also it quotes, that in this moment my CPU is at 53.0C, whereas Asus Probe quotes 64.0C... :flowers:

About the Everest-Bug, strange thing is, that Sandra also quotes my Fast Write being shut off, the AGP bus being not in use and/or not supported by the graphic chip and the AGP data flow as being not at its optimum... :trumpet:

Confusing...

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 07:56 AM

About the Everest-Bug

Your Mobo Manual shows your options for AGP on pages 47 - 48. Page 51 shows that the Primary VGA Bios is set to PCI by default. Have you changed this to AGP? I can only suggest you play around with those settings, but if you make any changes be sure to write down what you have done so you can change it back if you can't boot.

Look in the Hardware Monitor in the Bios for the true CPU temperature.

From ASUS Mobo FAQ's:

Why the CPU temerature detected in BIOS H/W Monitor is a little higher than in Windows?

It is normal. When WIndows is idle, OS will put the CPU into the low-power states(C1,C2 or C3 state) .But in BIOS setup , the CPU cannot support these states. So the CPU temerature detected in BIOS H/W Monitor will be several Celsius Degrees higher than in Windows.

The fan RPM depends on the make of the fan. The RPM's for different fans are all over the place.

Take a look at your video card temperature while playing a game. See the 'Temperature Settings' in the Display Properties.

Have you opened the case to look for dust around the fans on the CPU and video card?

#14 spocksbeard

spocksbeard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:45 AM

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Problem(s) solved!

Just wanted to say THANK YOU, especially to Leurgy!

Here's my report:

Opened the case a week ago, to look for dust. Bought me a new power supply as well. Cleaned the cooler and put the whole thing together again. After I reassembled the PC, the damn thing wouldn't go on any more..!
Called a technician - a guy I know - to help me out of this mess. Told him everything I've done and also about the problems I experienced. He took my PC home to run tests and found out, that the motherboard was dead, as well as the cooler. He thinks, that the cooler killed the motherboard in the end.
So now, I have a new mb (Asus A7V600-X), a new power supply and a new cooler. Now I don't have any problems any more, no freezing, no crashing.
Measured the temperature while gaming and it would not climb higher than 51C. With my old cooler it climbed up to 73C.

Thanks again!
:inlove:

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:24 AM

Thats great news spocksbeard. Although in the end it was your techie that solved the problem. Anyway, glad you are happy with the outcome. Nothing like some new parts to spruce things up.

Guess thats why women like to redecorate. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users