Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer restarts on shut down OR blue screen- 'stop windows has shut down to protect' screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ailbhe

ailbhe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

Hi,
I recently bought 2 Toshiba Satellite Pro L300D-138 laptops; one for me and one for my parents. I have been setting both of them up. They both came with Vista, and as Toshiba instructs, I made recovery discs, and then I downgraded to XP.
It appeared to go smoothly enough, but then when I shut down either computer, they would automatically restart. The only way to shut either down completely is to hold my finger down on the power button. What I have taken to doing is allowing it to shut down, then as I hear the fans re-activate, I then hold down the button and it shuts down properly.
At first I thought this was a Toshiba problem, so I checked their website, and I rang them a couple of times. They talked me through a couple of different options, and in 'Toshiba Modem' in the Device Manager, I unchecked a box that said 'restart on standby' or something...
This didn't solve the problem. I rang again, we did other things (sorry for lack of information, but as I now believe it is a Windows problem, I don't really think anything they said or did for me was of much help.)
Anyway, both computers still restarted when I shut them down, so I googled it, and on a Microsoft forum came up with: Right click on My Computer, go into Properties; click on Start up and failure, uncheck box that says 'automatic restart'. I don't claim to know much about computers, but I imagine the point of that little system is that when something is going wrong, the computer restarts...
Anyway, unchecked box, shut down laptop.
Got a big scary blue screen!!!
It said (along with explaining that the reason for the screen was because either hardware or software was not installed properly and basically the screen was there because of a problem)
KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

then there was the explanation of having the screen becasue of a problem then:

***STOP0X0000007A (0XC07B90C8, 0XC00000A3, 0XF7219BOE, 0X0660C860)
***ati2mtag.sys- Address F7219BOE base at F6E2E000, Datestamp 48342515

Now, I have been looking and googling and checking. I did a chkdsk, and it appeared things were ok, they aren't. I'm fearing I'm about to be told I need to reload XP on both computers, and if that is the answer, well what did I do wrong last time that I need to do differently? Or is there just a virus I need to dig deeper to get rid of. I have free versions of A-squared, AVG and Spy Bot. I was using a free trial of MacAfee, but it got too annoying with it's constant offers of renewal that I uninstalled it. The problem was here before and after uninstalling it.
When XP had finished loading there was a black screen thing, like when you type cmd into 'run'. They weren't doing anything, so I ignored and then closed them... did I in doing so stop XP from completely loading and then lead myself into all this hassle??? The computer runs slow and freezes, but I live in the 'sticks' and the internet isn't too hot out here so I put some of it down to that. There appears to be a slight delay on sound, although I have them all turned off, but there are of course some things that go ping, and it appears they do so a second or 2 late. HAving said that, I watch movies etc and there is no sound delay on them.
Is this too much information??? Are you bored, my knight in shining armour???
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Ailbhe.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:38 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Ati2mtag.sys is a video driver, installed for any system possessing an ATI video card/chip.

http://www.file.net/process/ati2mtag.sys.html

Having possessed various ATI cards previously...I can attest that yours is a fairly common situation. I suspect that the driver has been somehow damaged and needs to be replaced by an undamaged version.

What I would do is, once the system boots, remove the installed video drivers (using Device Manager)...then reboot and reinstall the drivers.

How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

The STOP0X0000007A noted in the error message...indicates that this is a hardware error. Component drivers are considered hardware, so I would try the uninstall/reinstall for the video drivers.

As for shutdown problems...every version of Windows has those. Some have solutions, others are more obtuse. You might take a look at Troubleshoot XP Shutdown Problems (MS) - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029 AND Troubleshooting Windows XP Shutdown Issues - http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm

If you read through the links provided, you will see that the suggestions made by Toshiba personnel...followed a known, logical sequence.

Louis

#3 ailbhe

ailbhe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:27 PM

Louis,
Thanks a million for your reply. I went through it and I appear to have fixed trhe problem... except...
The computer shuts down now, there is no blue screen, but it now goes from the 'Windows is shutting down' screen to a grey screen and it goes no further. It's obviously not fully shut down... I'm starting to think I need to reload my XP, although really don't want to! Do you have any suggestions?
PS I didn't mean to sound rude about the guys at Toshiba, they were really helpful, I just meant that I kinda came to the conclusion that it was with Windows I needed to work on, not the laptop, that's why I came here instead of ringing them again.
Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

I only commented on the Toshiba personnel...because it's difficult (as you are finding out) to troubleshoot shutdown issues.

Too many users seem to think that there is an "instant answer" for everything in the world of computing and I don't find that assumption to be credible.

I don't really have any more recommendations or suggestions. I can only tell you that my general response when I was confronted with shutdown issues in earlier days...was to do a repair install or clean install. I don't think I've ever really had any issues with XP startup/shutdown behaviors...but I've had plenty of problems with ATI drivers :thumbsup:.

You may want to take a look at and try these procedures, How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

One thing I've discovered about ATI driver issues...it's probably best to uninstall everything related to ATI in files and in the registry...before reinstalling the driver. It can be a tedious process, but that seems to work best for me, rather than just using the ATI tool or Add/Remove Programs or Device Manager or any combination of such.

Louis

#5 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:17 PM

Hello, never owned a ATI driver but this might help.

This is a driver issue, now you've replaced it its giving you a grey screen. can you try another GPU to see if its deffinitly the GPU (ATI) thats messing up? but this might be hard depending on your technical level.

i think reloading windows is you're almsot only option. i dunno what to suggest because its a grey screen....

try Completely uninstalling all traces of ATI then reinstall it bit by bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users