Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAID 1 question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

Greetings to all,

I have a RAID 1 set up on my file server and one of the hard drives crashed. Now, I did not set up this array and the guy who did is no longer around.

Do I have to buy an identical hard drive or can I just use one with certain specifics? I have searched around and cannot find the identical one but I found a different brand, same size, same speed.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, You're My Only Hope :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

Ideally, you should try to find a drive that is identical. If you can't, it will still work with another drive. The actual RAID implementation will continue to use the same disk space on both disks. If it's on a server, I am sure you are doing regular backups. :thumbsup:
Make sure run a complete backup of your server prior to changing any hardware, especially a hard disk. Also, it might be a good time to test that your backups can easily be restored. I have heard of smaller businesses thinking that they were running a successful backup, to find out that were not able to run a restore from backup. Very embarrassing for them.

Hope that helps,
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users