Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

quick question about memory

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:25 AM

hey all, I am running a dual boot system (well triple) I have windows vista 64 bit as my primary OS, but i also have ubuntu and Kubuntu installed on smaller partitions. (64 bit versions of both) heres the question, I had 2 gigs of ddr2 installed, and I just added a 2 x 2 gig set of ddr2 to my system, for a total of 6 gigs of ram. Now vista recognizes the full 6 gigs, (6143 mb) and everything works fine, both in vista, and in ubuntu, however in ubuntu it only recognizes the amount of ram as 5.8 gig of ram. I am curiouse as to why ubuntu recognizes less then windows, Im running a dedicated video card so theres no shared memory there, and Im not totally familiar with how linux works yet. is this something that linux is supposed to do, or is there a problem that needs fixed? thanks.

ps im running ubuntu 8.10 and whatever the latest version of kubuntu is. not worried about kubuntu, am about to uninstall it anyway was just playing with which one I liked better, and ubuntu won.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:22 PM

I believe that it's normal. Not being one endowed with ungodly amounts of RAM, I can't really say for sure.

While I haven't found a single answer to the reason, here are the most popular:

Difference in how 6GB is counted between systems (using decimal vs. binary powers)

Linux has reserved the missing RAM for itself

Something to do with a bad ATI driver.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:59 PM

thanks, Im gonna assume its one of the above and is normal, as everything runs fine (boots normal, runs stable, etc. etc.) so thanks. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users