Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preventing these pesky buggers - help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ohgodhelplol

Ohgodhelplol

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:39 PM

As an 'advanced' computer user, I am a tad baffled at my current predicament.

I have rarely used a firewall or anything similar in my +15 years of working with computers (although I recommend them to my customers) simply because I don't see the need. I'm rarely downloading anything, and if I do, it's from known-to-be trusted websites. Malware and the likes are usually initiated by the person, and I tend to be smarter then that.

However, recently something has been bugging me. Malwarebytes has been picking up on something every so often (which is rare) and I CAN'T seem to figure out how I am getting this bleepware on my computer.

SO - I'm interested in a program to figure out how this spyware is ending up on my hard drives. Here's a screenshot of what Malwarebytes has picked up -

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1626/44119115.jpg

And what Spybot picked up -

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1465/96318925.jpg

These are a little different from what's been happening. Usually, I pick up randomly-named .dll files. They are almost always located in my system32 folder. I know that's vague, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:21 AM

Hi,

Try running SuperAntiSpyware and install an antivirus program and firewall, lol.

Even smart computer users can become infected by things and they do not always come from things you download. You really do not have to download anything to become infected and just one wrong click can get you.

I did not click the links you posted so I do not know what you have found on your system, but this program can find and get rid of many things other programs cannot.

http://www.superantispyware.com/

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:02 AM

Did you by any chance reformat your drive after your bout with numerous infections a few months ago?

Among other things, it appears you had a nasty rootkit infection then, and sometimes after having those it is impossible to know for sure that your system is not still compromised without reformatting your drive and starting over.

I really do not want to have to load your screenshots so could you possibly please post the name of the infection that Malwarebytes and Spybot is picking up?

Edited by Stang777, 11 March 2009 - 02:06 AM.

#4 Ohgodhelplol

Ohgodhelplol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:35 AM

You aren't going to become infected by clicking on an imageshack.jpg, LMAO.

I simply have too much data on my computer to reformat, so no I did not. I run SuperAntiSpyware already, and if you would have read my post thoroughly you would realize I'm looking for suggestions on anti-virus software.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:42 PM

I did read your post thoroughly and no where in it did you mention, or even indicate, that you are looking for an antivirus program. You said you never use a firewall or anythng similar because you do not see the need. To me, the anything similar meant antivirus programs. You did say you are interested in a program to figure out how this spyware is ending up on your hard drives but given what you had already said, I still did not take that to mean you wanted an av\fw program. It really did not sound like you were too interested in running either one so other than saying you should run one, I did not feel the need to spend any time giving you recommendations for certain av/fw programs. There are many free av programs that are good posted all through this forum such as AVG, Avira and Avast and many others that are good that need to be bought. I personally prefer ZoneAlarm av/fw. For firewalls, Commando and Zonealarm are good ones and they are free. The "Security" section of this forum has a lot of good recommendations and info on what you seem to be interested in.

You asked specifically about the items that two program found but are unwilling to post the names of the items and want others to click your links and load screen shots. Laugh at me all you want for not wanting to open your screenshots and assume whatever you like, but the fact is, I often have trouble seeing the info on screenshots and would just rather not load them at all as they are usually useless. If you wanted help with the files, you could have just listed the names of them and saved us all the trouble of loading screenshots that usually cannot be read by many people.

Good luck with your problems

#6 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

If you are that concerned about your scan reports you could do as suggested on your HJT log thread
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1049530

and

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a member of the HJT Team and we will reopen it for you. Include the address of this thread in your request.

What is your present antivirus program and have you run the Malwarebytes , Superantispyware and Spybot programs with the most recent definitions ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users